Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jet vs. Prop???

bp
    a friend of mine has a 68 sanger flatty lake boat that he's been working on since 70, and it still isn't "right".
    briefly, yes a pump needs to be built to at least handle the horsepower that will be applied to it, to be completely reliable. just a -good- vdrive, shaft, strut, prop, not to mention rudder, will cost more than a stage III blueprinted jet.
    usually, jet guys are working on their computers, not their engines/pumps... :devil:

76ANTHONY
    i like my jet because throwin it in rev is almost like having brakes, and i can do it at any speed, well below 10mph safely. i feel more safe in it just for that fact, wouldnt wanna crush any lake lice

CPBRIAN10THMTN
    I only read the title of this post and knew right away where this one was gonna go........... there are a ton of posts on here about the same damn thing. Now i'm gonna get a beer and sit back and watch this ensue cuz its hilarious to read.:boxingguy

Paul128a
    Im a jetski guy and I believe jets are a lot more fun, especially if you pull stuff, as they really haul ass on take off. Its a lot safer too, no danger of chewing up your skiier.
    As for top-end, I feel props run faster for the same hull with less horsepower. But you cant play around and do spins with a prop, especially in shallow water.
    I enjoy jets especially since I like exploring shallow parts, and, depending on your hull, you could idle a jet around tight places with a foot of water.
    Im not into arguing, so it all depends on your boating preference. My 21 footer's got a 350 and an outdrive, all my other toys are jets!

Devilman
    Although it is fun to "stir the pot", this is a legit question. I've ridden in both and yes both can be fast.
    I've seen guys throw a lot of money (aka power) at a pump boat and had nothing but problems.
    If you want to haul ass and be reliable don't you have to have your pump worked? Don't get me wrong, a good v-drive is not cheap either but from what I've seen they seem to be less trouble once you're set up. Time and time again I see guys working on thier pumps and motors. They seem to be particular....I'm a bit confused.
    I'd rather just work on the motor and not have to worry about the rest.
    I guess it's all money either way you look at it. I just want to have fun without spending my life's savings!!!
    I can tell you what I have learned between owning my boat & being around several others. All the hotrod jet guys I know have spent considerable amounts of $$$ tryin to go faster, but the majority of the money has been spent on the engine & engine work. Pump seems to be a pretty simple piece of equipment & yes there are things you can do to them to tweak them that cost money, theres very little that go wrong with them. Also, there are guys that will spend a ton of $$$ tryin to get some heavy ass hull to run good, while there are better suited hulls that will haul ass with considerably less effort.
    I know that in general, a v-drive will be faster than a jet, but in my opinion, a a hotrod v-drive would be a pain in the ass to drive, as it seems to be a totally different driving style, Maybe I'm just lazy. I also like not having to worry about a bunch of crap hanging underneath the boat hitting something under water.... It mainly depends on what kind of boating you like to do. Me, I'm not looking to be fast. I'm probably the slowest boat in the group I run with, actually. But when we go out for a run or head out to another cove, I'm not but a couple minutes behind the others if that. I also will say out of the group of boats I run with, mine is about the only one that hasn't been broke down. That's gotta count for something.

Dominator Scott
    I own both types of boats. A 32 Sunsation Dominator with twin 700SC's that breaks 100mph and my father and I own a 78 Sanger Super Jet with a 460 Ford motor. I can tell you first hand that the 400HP Sanger will crush my 1400HP Dominator from 0-65MPH but after that she's all done and the Dominator is just starting to stretch her legs.
    Also the Sanger is a hell of a lot cheaper to run then my Dominator ever has been. I have always been an offshore guy but the Sanger certainly is a LOT of fun even if it is much slower than my Dominator. My 32 hasn't even seen the water yet but the Sanger jet has been run about 9 times so far this summer. Plus I never have to worry about busted drives,props ect. with the Sanger.

ck7684
    Jets are just plain more fun!! Less complicated (if you want them to be) and thats a definate bonus. I havent noticed much fuel savings compared to my dad's 18' tri-hull that has a straight 6...I think a jet would be a perfect river runner...depends on your ultimate goals. I bought mine for fun, and it puts a grin on my face for sure!!

jdf
    we have both jet's are fun and props are for hauling azz

IMPATIENT 1
    there are guys that will spend a ton of $$$ tryin to get some heavy ass hull to run good, while there are better suited hulls that will haul ass with considerably less effort
    kenny, are you making fun of me

jdf
    there are guys that will spend a ton of $$$ tryin to get some heavy ass hull to run good, while there are better suited hulls that will haul ass with considerably less effort
    kenny, are you making fun of me
    yuo know how kenny is ......you know is boat is like a james bond boat

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast