Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Tunnel Crash in Joliet Il

sstjet
    Saw a very minor crash today at a show in Joliet Il. A few boat get together and make exihibition runs down a stretch of river that has concrete walls on both sides. This texas tunnel with a alcohol injected tunnel ram big block was just getting goin, he hit maybe 50mph and the throttle closed suddenly, the boat hooked to the left real hard, just before impact with the wall the driver was able to turn the boat so only the right front sponson hit the wall. This was a pretty light impact and the driver was able to return to the trailer on his own power. I later checked out the boat back where they were pitted and found no safety systems in place on his pump The was no Jetaway or no pop off!! Lucky for the driver he never hit a good speed and this happened or I'm sure he would be DEAD. Just wondering why people would build such a seriors motor for a boat and overlook simple safety items Hopefully anyone reading this with a similar setup will learn from this guys mistake. He lucky it was not his last mistake.

What!...No pics?
    Hope all is well!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Those boats are NOTORIOUS for turnning I hope he and his ride is ok.....

sstjet
    Driver was fine. Boat is gonna need some repair though.

RICHARD TILL
    yep, those texas tunnels are notorious for turning. got 2 of em. suddenly closing the throttle is not a good idea at all. the more speed you have the worse it is. if the nose comes down and you hit a wave, the boat will likely be going in that direction and your butt will be going the other. this guy was lucky. i`d be willing to bet his fruit of the loom`s are stained.

dragboat
    yep, those texas tunnels are notorious for turning. got 2 of em. suddenly closing the throttle is not a good idea at all. the more speed you have the worse it is. if the nose comes down and you hit a wave, the boat will likely be going in that direction and your butt will be going the other. this guy was lucky. i`d be willing to bet his fruit of the loom`s are stained.

MWJSOne
    I was talking with one of the other boat owners he said that the guy was turning around and smacked the wall.Nothing major like what happend in that Tenn car show over this past weekend.

RICHARD TILL
    the accident in Selmer Tn. should`nt have happened either. Selmer is about 30 miles from here and i work with several of the eye witnesses. they said that the car was one of many doing burnouts. a fire truck was wetting the pavement for them. the pro-mod dragster was doing its burnout, caught traction and shot forward and sideways into the crowd killing 6 people and injuring many more. yesterday there was a good report on www.wmctv.com this was at a cars for kids benefit car show.

sstjet
    I was talking with one of the other boat owners he said that the guy was turning around and smacked the wall.Nothing major like what happend in that Tenn car show over this past weekend.
    Well thats not what it looked like to me. The throttle closed suddenly and the boat made a hard left turn and headed straight toward the wall slowing the whole time. At the last second throttle was applied and the boat started to turn but not before hitting the wall with the front right corner. That still doesn't change the fact that he should of had a ratchet or a pop off on the pump on a boat with that kind of power.

sstjet
    Well thats not what it looked like to me. The throttle closed suddenly and the boat made a hard left turn and headed straight toward the wall slowing the whole time. At the last second throttle was applied and the boat started to turn but not before hitting the wall with the front right corner. That still doesn't change the fact that he should of had a ratchet or a pop off on the pump on a boat with that kind of power.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast