Thread: Sanding On The Boat???????

DaBigRed1
    is it ok to sand on the gel coat with 1200 and 2000 to bring the color back

Havasu Carrera
    Yep 1k wet and use 3m .... heat activated / somethinarether high speed for the final. Sorry about the somethinarether don't remember.

Steve 1
    is it ok to sand on the gel coat with 1200 and 2000 to bring the color back
    Be Very Careful!! Use and Obey guide coat and not one stroke more than necessary. Look if memory serves 1000 grit is 10.3 Micrometer grit diameter =@ 4 Tenths of a thousandth or .0004 so each stroke (wet) has the potential of removing up to nearly half a thousandth of your ONE and Only finish unless you like to re-spray gel coat.
    Also Buffing is uncontrolled like grinding Let backed abrasives do the work and buff after say 2000 sanding then apply compound very very evenly and then buff “Cool” If the surface gets hot STOP!! Clean the pad (air fluff) then apply compound and have another go. Have fun.

Leverage
    Hey Red,
    Wet sanding is an excellent way to bring the shine back.
    You need 1500, 1200, 1000 and maybe 800 if it is that bad.
    You need a sanding block/pad
    You need Leverage Oxidation Remover or 3M Buffing Compound
    You need a small bucket for water
    You need a buffer with a wool pad
    You need a mild wash solution
    You need some clean Terry cloth towels
    Make sure the surface is clean. Start with the wet 1500 on the block/pad. Do a small area to begin with. You don't need to apply a lot of pressure, let the paper do its job. Go in the same direction with maybe 10-15 strokes keeping the paper wet(you will see it removing the white oxidation immediately)then wash the surface off. Then you can take a towel and dry the surface. From there you need to buff that area with my Oxidation Remover or 3M Buffing Compound. Then follow up the next day or two with Leverage Polish, Cleaner & UV Protectant.
    I always start with a less abrasive grit. The 1500 is mild and is least likely for any mistakes. I would do that small area and see if you get the results with the 1500. If the paint is still faded then move down to 1200 and then 1000 if needed. After I finish with buffing I always wait until the next day or two before I apply my polish. I like to come back, look over my work and make sure I'm satisfied with my work before polishing.
    Let us know how it goes or if you have any questions.
    Donnie
    BTW, My oxidation remover will also remove light scratches and 1000 grit sand marks.

pw_Tony
    The worse it is, the lower grit you should start out with. If it's really bad you can go the route I'm going and start with 600 wet sand grit... but I still need lower!:jawdrop:

Leverage
    The worse it is, the lower grit you should start out with. If it's really bad you can go the route I'm going and start with 600 wet sand grit... but I still need lower!:jawdrop:
    Dam 600. I feel for you brother. I've taken it you've already started with 600-800?

DaBigRed1
    thanks guys alot of help well i hit it first with 1200 then 2000 then a product called duz all its like a cleaner then i used maguires one step compound and the maguires wax for boats it looks realy good i just hope when i pull it out of the water it doesnt fade again

pw_Tony
    Dam 600. I feel for you brother. I've taken it you've already started with 600-800?
    Yup.... some guy I got this boat off of painted it with enamel I think... it almost looks like some rolled on paint!:jawdrop:
    Horrible orange peel and imperections, but no cracks and it's a really tough paint it seems, so I go with lower and work my pay up, theres plenty of paint to do whatever is necessary to get some shine