Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC running rough

wrenchdaddy
    Hey guys I have a nice 454 BBC, forged internals, msd ign, 9.8:1 compression. I rebuilt the carb this past spring and she ran perfect except for when I got the distributor wet from spray off the pump, taking waves, etc etc. When it got wet the boat would barely turn over and backfire and not idel at all. I cleaned out the dist cap and put some silicone around the base of it. Lately its been kinda hard to start, and hesitates when I romp it from an idle and also if I just let off the gas suddenly after running a little bit it will die. I have the idle set at around 800. Is the carb out of adjustment? I use supreme, should I throw in some octane booster? Should I get a new Dist cap? Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Devilman
    The cap have a vent on it? Maybe it still has some moisture in there & with it siliconed up it can't evaporate?

wrenchdaddy
    its got a vent at the top. it was running rough before i put silicone on it.

oldbuck40
    its got a vent at the top. it was running rough before i put silicone on it.you may have a crack in the cap???

wrenchdaddy
    Well I took off the cap, blocked off the vent and filled it with water and nothing came out and i looked real close for cracks and stuff but found nothing. I was kinda hoping maybe it was gas related

oldbuck40
    Well I took off the cap, blocked off the vent and filled it with water and nothing came out and i looked real close for cracks and stuff but found nothing. I was kinda hoping maybe it was gas related
    well have you had the wires off and maybe got them back in the wrong place????

wrenchdaddy
    no its not running that bad. When Im up on plane it runs perfect, no hesitation at all and it'll get it no problem. just right off idle and shutin it down

oldbuck40
    i would take the cap off and set it out in the sun for a bit and let it get good and hot,,maybe it will dry out! mine did the same thing one summer after taking a wave over the back,i just stayed on it just up on plane and let the heat of the engine dry it out.. it took a while but it finally started running right.

oldbuck40
    i keep re-reading your first post and it still sounds like a problem with just getting it wet! but you say now it will run fine except right off idle and when you let off it???? hard to say without seeing it run, but i still would let it dry out real good before you put the cap back on.

Mr. Crusader 83
    Sounds to me that the carb is sucking to much air at idle. and when you get on it its fine. Base gasket? clogged jet? Take the carb apart and soak it in Cem Dip for an hour. Then clean it all out with carb clean. Replace gaskets. Bowl and base. then try her out. also check timing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast