Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question: Boat & Trailer Registration

A buddy of mine and I just purchased a 1972 21Â’ Hallett together and we are wondering what would be the best way to register the boat and trailer. Currently the boat is register in California and the trailer is registered in Arizona. My buddy lives in Arizona and I live in California.
    Since the boat is a 1972 there isnÂ’t any Vessel Hull Numbers on the actual hull. I think manufactures started putting Vessel Hull Numbers on their hulls in 1974. I figured we would register the boat and trailer in Arizona but my buddy is concerned that Arizona may seize the boat for a month due to the fact that there isnÂ’t any Vessel Hull Numbers on the actual hull. Any information on the pros and cons of registering the boat and trailer in either state would be appreciated.

mdunn01
    You register the boat here you will pay a luxuary tax on it thats for sure.

Boatcop
    Believe it or not, Arizona does realize that boats didn't have Hull ID numbers before 1973. After all, they've been registering boats since the 1950s.
    Just fill out the application (available on line (http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/outdoor_re...tification.pdf)) and send it in. They will let you know what you have to do. Incude the bill of sale and signed off title.
    If you have any questions call them at 928-942-6000. When the prompts begin, push "0" and ask for Watercraft Registration.

Believe it or not, Arizona does realize that boats didn't have Hull ID numbers before 1973. After all, they've been registering boats since the 1950s.
    Just fill out the application (available on line (http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/outdoor_re...tification.pdf)) and send it in. They will let you know what you have to do. Incude the bill of sale and signed off title.
    If you have any questions call them at 928-942-6000. When the prompts begin, push "0" and ask for Watercraft Registration.
    ThatÂ’s what I thought but my buddy was pretty adamant that the boat could be seized for up to a month. So are you saying that this will never happen and if it does can I tell them that boatcop on ***boat said so. Btw Thanks

Boatcop
    ThatÂ’s what I thought but my buddy was pretty adamant that the boat could be seized for up to a month. So are you saying that this will never happen and if it does can I tell them that boatcop on ***boat said so. Btw Thanks
    No, the boat won't get seized. Boats can be seized if the HIN has been removed or altered, but not if it just never had one.

Baja Big Dog
    Just dont attempt to pay any fee's via credit card unless the bill goes to the AZ address!!
    That sucks!

pvhca
    My boat doesn't have a hull VIN# it's a 1994, Eliminator forgot to put it on, if the boat doesn't qualify for the luxury tax do it in Cal, it's pretty cheap and being that old it shouldn't qualify for the unsecured property tax I believe over $20K makes it an unsecured property tax, the trailer reg. in Cal is very cheap

Jerry, register the trailer in California and the boat in Arizona. That way if you want to tow it back here with your truck.... no problem. You know what happens when you tow an AZ trailer with a CA truck in CA...... no bueno. AZ doesn't care where the trailer is registered.

My boat doesn't have a hull VIN# it's a 1994, Eliminator forgot to put it on, if the boat doesn't qualify for the luxury tax do it in Cal, it's pretty cheap and being that old it shouldn't qualify for the unsecured property tax I believe over $20K makes it an unsecured property tax, the trailer reg. in Cal is very cheap
    Over $20,000 seems kind of high for the cut off of unsecured property tax did the law change? I paid luxury tax on my Southwind and Sea Doo for at least 10 years and I purchased them for around $6,000 each. I tried to look online and couldn't find any information. Anyone know for sure what the cut of amount is?

Glamasu
    I don't think CAL cares what the yr or monetary number is...if they can tax it they will.....Stick with AZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast