Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How important is torque??

That sniper looks like a team G with a carb spacer on it.
    It better be good at that price...$450.00

steelcomp
    Torque is only a force. Power is what turns the impeller. Anyone want to take a stab at the difference between torque and usable power??
    BTW...my little 467 makes 821hp @ 7000 and 680 lbs/ft @5500 with a TR and two 1050's. Makes over 800 at 6500, and makes over 600 lbs/ft from 4700 to past 7000. Any of your motors hold better than 3% power over 2000rpm? Like I said, that's with a TR and 2 1050's, and only 467 small-bore inches. :idea:

steelcomp
    now this is a good question
    everyone wants to beleive that you need want and love tunnel rams wrong.i have seen to many and im one of them take out very good t-ram boats with a single or dual plane intake,single carb.imo t-rams are for looks and looks only in a lake boat.key word lake boat.i just got threw taking out a couple of txs with tunnel rams with 650 plus horse with a rpm air gap and a 750 profrom carb.150 shot of nos on top.torque is a huge factor in jets the more torque the better it will luanch.now i know some will not agree so thats my 2 cents worth hope it helps.do not over carb your boat and yes you can over carb a jet:idea: :notam: :notam:

squirt
    Torque is only a force. Power is what turns the impeller. Anyone want to take a stab at the difference between torque and usable power??
    BTW...my little 467 makes 821hp @ 7000 and 680 lbs/ft @5500 with a TR and two 1050's. Makes over 800 at 6500, and makes over 600 lbs/ft from 4700 to past 7000. Any of your motors hold better than 3% power over 2000rpm? Like I said, that's with a TR and 2 1050's, and only 467 small-bore inches. :idea:
    What RPM do you spin your impeller and what size is it? I'm sure it's probably a detailed impeller so going by a standard chart really won't hold much weight, but it sure would be interesting to know. I belive I've seen your dyno sheet on your engine thread but I don't recall if you posted RPM's while running in the boat.

steelcomp
    What RPM do you spin your impeller and what size is it? I'm sure it's probably a detailed impeller so going by a standard chart really won't hold much weight, but it sure would be interesting to know. I belive I've seen your dyno sheet on your engine thread but I don't recall if you posted RPM's while running in the boat.
    MPD detailed stainless BC @ 6400-6500

steelcomp
    all interesting enough but if you look at some dyno sheets and compare them to the RPM's the impeller turns, if you shoot for the lower max TQ rpm number with your impeller you will come up way short! This has been gone over tons and tons and will never be resolved, it is good to talk about tho. Pumps WILL turn above the max tq rpm not just to it. If we keep the disscussion to typical jet boat engines (ie not small blocks even tho they are used and rotary's) then the trend will show if proper planing of components are present the engine will spin the pump up closer to the hp#. If the max tq rpm was the ideal goal then most boats would be better suited with a AA or a AAA impeller,this is certainly not true. Since tq is what is used to calculate hp it is and important#, but in selecting an impeller and chosing a rpm for the engine to run max at I'd look at the hp# and work off that. Thats the way I see things after looking into this a ton!That's basically the key. Torque alone is completely irrelevant as compared to usable power. Usable power isn't always going to be max hp either. The wider you build your power band, the less you have to worry about a "target" power. This is why big cubic inches work so well, and why small cubes typically don't.

pw_Tony
    Well I am gonna go between a dual plane and a tunnell ram and go for a tall single plane manifold. It will give me more top end and be a good mix I am gonna order the Profiler Sniper Jr. and have it port matched to what ever heads I end up with. This thing should pull hard and I bet I will be the only one locally with this on a jet boat....
    http://www.profilerperformance.com/b...ntake-206.html
    Might as well get a fockin tunnel ram with how tall that thing is! Looks badass though...

Jetaholic
    In any application, torque is everything. Horsepower is a byproduct of torque. No torque=no horsepower.
    Typically you can figure out horsepower at a given RPM with this equation:
    (Torque x RPM)/5252
    where 5,252 is a constant value...because no matter what your curve or where your peak HP and torque are being made, HP and torque will always equal each other at 5,252 RPMs.
    Let's say your engine makes 400 ft lbs of torque at 4,000 RPM. We want to know how much horsepower the engine is making at 4,000 RPM given that amount of torque:
    400 X 4,000 = 1600000
    1600000/5,252 = 304.64 HP...basically 305 HP
    This engine would make 305HP at 4,000 RPMs.
    Torque is basically the measurement of how hard the engine can spin its crankshaft. More torque means better pull/push, which means it will be easier for the engine to get the boat moving from a dead stop. Think of it as the "muscle" of the motor.

steelcomp
    Horsepower is not a byproduct of torque. Torque does not spin anything. Torque is a work force, or a load being applied. In our case, it's measured in lbs/ft. If you have 100 lbs. sitting on the end of a 12" bar, there is 100 foot-pounds of energy being applied to the end of that bar, but it's not necessarily moving. Horsepower is that same force, being applied over a distance and time. (revolutions per minuter) Forget the numbers, and think of the force as it is being applied. The key word here is power. Too many people get cought up in the numbers and names without understanding what it is.

Sleeper CP
    Well built "little" engine, 1.76HP/cu.in! I can't beat your 3% but I can do 5% over 1,800 rpm's max at 710 lbs. ft at 5,800. Or 98% over 1,600. None the less great built engine, how much compression? My revised version will probably be on the dyno next week with the higher compression the trq #'s will be up so will see.
    As my first post stated on the subject: If a TR is tuned and is matched to the heads and cam they can make trq as low as 4,500. But they have to be matched . I think to many people put Tr's on mild 454's that only turn an A/B 5,800. I do admit they looks great, but not being used well.
    What do you think, if he wants to turn an A to 6,000 should he build it for max power at 6k or more like 6,250 ?
    Sleeper CP

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123