Thread: Oil Change

brwn234
    I'm doing the regular fluid changes and maintenance in my 7.4MPI. What motor oil should I be using. I read that regular motor oil doesnt give you corrosion protection like marine oil does. Other articles I've read say that Mobile1 does provide this protection. Everybody says something different. What do you guys use or suggest. Also what about the fluid in the drive. Should I use the Quicksilver brand or Mercruiser brand? What about some of the other high perfromance lubricants on the market? Thanks.

bikerboater
    I run 20/50 Racing Oil and the Merc H/P gear oil in my drive. I personally don't see a big problem with corrosion unless the boat is being laid up for an extended period. If you get water in the oil somehow, nothings gonna save it.

ToMorrow44
    I always use straight 40W in the Mercruiser motors and I bet that's what most everyone else uses (just get a brand name oil). For your drive, I would use either the Merc H/P gear lube, Quicksilver, or Sierra would all be fine. You don't need to run anything high performance like Amsoil or Redline in your drive.
    -Tom