Thread: Cubic inch ?

SED253
    How big can you SAFELY bore a 454 and still use stock length rods and crank..What CI would it be when finish bored...key is safely..This would be for a marine blower application

DelawareDave
    I'm not sure what the minimum wall thickness recommendation would be for a blown motor, but a sonic test will tell you what you have, and how much you could take out to get to the minimum thickness. I wouldn't bore unless it was required, and then no more than needed to clean up the bore to fit whatever is available, piston wise. Save what you have for the next rebuild.

IMPATIENT 1
    i'm at 100 over (475ci) and it sonic tested fine.machinist told me i could go to 125 over but he wouldn't recommend blowing it or any nitrous usage on it, so i stayed with 100 over and blown. i've got a freshly bored tall deck i'll build a 547 outta of over the next 2yrs and retire the 475 shortblock(sell it )

SmokinLowriderSS
    It's my understanding that 1/8" (.125") is the absolute raw outside limit for the boring bar in a 454 factory block. That assumes the sleeves are perfectly where they belong too. That makes a bore of 4.376, 481 CID.

adjones419
    It's my understanding that 1/8" (.125") is the absolute raw outside limit for the boring bar in a 454 factory block. That assumes the sleeves are perfectly where they belong too. That makes a bore of 4.376, 481 CID.
    That's what I've always heard too. We have a 522 Nitrous motor in the 8 second hydro...it's pushing the edge for a GM production block. Actually we thought it would be the first motor to hand grenade, but it's been together for 6 years and runs like a champ.
    I'm in the process of building a blown-injected alcohol piece for the 8 second flat. Going to take it .100" over to make a 477, maybe step up to a 496 with a 4.25" crank.

Fiat48
    That's what I've always heard too. We have a 522 Nitrous motor in the 8 second hydro...it's pushing the edge for a GM production block. Actually we thought it would be the first motor to hand grenade, but it's been together for 6 years and runs like a champ.
    I'm in the process of building a blown-injected alcohol piece for the 8 second flat. Going to take it .100" over to make a 477, maybe step up to a 496 with a 4.25" crank.
    You won''t need to go 4.25 stroke to run 8 seconds. Far as bore size...not important either. Just bore what it needs to in order to get a good cleanup on the wall.

Fiat48
    How big can you SAFELY bore a 454 and still use stock length rods and crank..What CI would it be when finish bored...key is safely..This would be for a marine blower application
    Marine blower application.
    Why worry about large bore size? If there's a safe number...it prolly is .060.
    Youll make your own air so why worry about a few inches? Save the wall.

Liberator TJ1984
    Stay stock bore ,use the parts you have and use the money for a good set of heads or other parts ?
    Unless you are really going to lean on the motor ? to get all you can out of it (race only )

Jerrys59
    Maybe you can get ahold of one of these blocks. MkIV, CNC prep, Tall deck Casting P/N 14044807