Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anodize vs Powder coating

Blueduck
    What is the best way to go for bezels, grab handles, swim step etc...I have anodize on my current boat and it seems to fade pretty badly. Was wondering what finish to use for new boat...has anodizing got any better and is there any downfalls with powder coating?
    Thanks

Daytona100
    Anodizing sucks. My boats only a couple years old and the anodized stuff is discolored. Thinking about takeing it all off and getting it powerdercoated. :cry:

BADASS38CHEVY
    I had all of my speaker grills powder coating.I only had 1 coat of powder coat put on them.They look like anodized grills,still looks transparant and looks really nice. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...60stereo_2.jpg ,

Daytona100
    Nice looking boat. powdercoating looks like the way to go.

BILLY.B
    When I re-did my boat I went with powder coating over anodizing due to the fade factor. My boat was done over 4 years ago and it still looks fresh. You have to be very carefull though. The way BADASS38CHEVY did his was over a polished piece of aluminum which gives it that transparent look. Looks bitchin but if done that way on pieces that rub or that come in contact with water pressure (cav plates) it can peel. There is nothing for the powder coat to stick to other then the polished aluminum and that just doesn't work. They have colors that look like candy colors and have very good adhesion. The prep is different on these colors. They lightly sandblast or glass bead and then put a base down then the color and clearcoat. Looks cool and it does last longer then ano. Draw back is you have to re-drill your holes, and if you have pieces that bolt together and there are tolerence's to tend with you can either have them mask those areas or sand them when you get them back. I use Concept Powder in Rancho Cucamonga. Mike does an excellent job at a fair price...Just my.02. Hope this helps.

Daytona100
    Thanks for the info. Looks like a project for next winter. Cash all gone after putting in a new engine this winter. :cry:

Blueduck
    I personally like the polished finish but dont want to have to keep up on the pure alum. There are a few finishes like clear powder coat and clear anodize.....I figured powder was the way to go. Dana sent me some samples so I will take a look this weekend.

cam-shaft
    I would go anodized for sure. Yes it fades however in the salty enviroment it will last longer. The problem I found with powder coat is you get one little defect then the salt gets under the powder coat and she peels away. A good sandblasting and epoxy enamel primer and paint holds up better in the salt then powder coat for sure.

MIKEHTMSR24
    get gas on powder coating instantly stain my buddies swim platform

Blueduck
    Camshaft....I will not be using my boat in salt water at all so I not so worried about that.
    Mike..... I have a SandRail that is powder coated and I spill gas on it from time to time and it has never did anything to the powder coat???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast