Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WTF, water in all passenger cylinders BBC

Mr. Crusader 83
    I pulled the intake off and the gasket survived. All roads lead to the head gasket
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...kegasket01.jpg
    Thats not entirely true. This just happened to my dads boat.
    The overheat buzzer went off (on a i/o) so he shut it off at 45 mph and the flappers were gone in his exhaust tips. The water back flowed into the cylinders. Try a leak down test first.

probablecause
    The boat never made it to the water. Garden hose only. However, leakdown is tomorrow.

probablecause
    The boat never made it to the water. Garden hose only. However, leakdown is tomorrow.

good news is that you're about 2 hours of physical time away from having new head gaskets on by the looks of that picture. Pull the heads, at this point, it's a piece of cake.
    I agree w/ Rexone here ... the intake is not the likely suspect, head gaskets are more likely.
    Clay Smith Cams have the ones you want ... but they're not open until Monday. Call me tomorrow and I'll tell you the ones to get. Not much, but definately worth it.
    Brian
    949-678-3650 cell

probablecause
    Everyone here lost money on this one. I could not figure it out but now I know why water was in all of the cylinders, and not just a couple.
    We tore the head off and found the gasket to be in perfect condition. So we started scratching our heads. Decided to pressurize the exhaust log and immediately heard/saw/felt air coming into the exhaust portion, while looking into the first chamber (next to the riser). It was coming from where the snail/riser area. Thought it was a crack somewhere inside. Took the snail part off and found that the gaskets were bad on the inside area between the snail and the log – disintegrated (probably from water sitting on them over the years). No Cracks anywhere.
    Thus, any water that was being pumped in was also filling the actual exhaust portion of the log - backfilling to the cylinders. Checked everything out and appears to be OK. Cranked the motor over without the cover on and checked the walls and OK.
    So my next question, is where can I get on of the metal inserts, pictured below? I see gaskets on Rex Marine and CP Performance but the picture is black and white and the descriptions just say "Hardin Marine Gasket" Mine was setup with Gasket+Metal Instert+Gasket. So the metal was sandwiched between two other gaskets. I don't know if their descriptions are for a replacement "kit" that actually contains two gaskets plus a metal insert.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/.../LogRing01.jpg

Daytona100
    Everyone here lost money on this one. I could not figure it out but now I know why water was in all of the cylinders, and not just a couple.
    We tore the head off and found the gasket to be in perfect condition. So we started scratching our heads. Decided to pressurize the exhaust log and immediately heard/saw/felt air coming into the exhaust portion, while looking into the first chamber (next to the riser). It was coming from where the snail/riser area. Thought it was a crack somewhere inside. Took the snail part off and found that the gaskets were bad on the inside area between the snail and the log – disintegrated (probably from water sitting on them over the years). No Cracks anywhere.
    Thus, any water that was being pumped in was also filling the actual exhaust portion of the log - backfilling to the cylinders. Checked everything out and appears to be OK. Cranked the motor over without the cover on and checked the walls and OK.
    So my next question, is where can I get on of the metal inserts, pictured below? I see gaskets on Rex Marine and CP Performance but the picture is black and white and the descriptions just say "Hardin Marine Gasket" Mine was setup with Gasket+Metal Insert+Gasket. So the metal was sandwiched between two other gaskets. I don't know if their descriptions are for a replacement "kit" that actually contains two gaskets plus a metal insert.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/.../LogRing01.jpg
    Note most people check there shit almost every year. Most if not all answers were for fresh not dilapidated stuff!!!!!!! Don't be proud that you outsmarted everyone because your stuff is rotted out!!! Start some kind of preventative maintenance and start inspecting your equipment. Everyone learned something thats good but don,t wait until something is rotted out before you do something about it. Mike

probablecause
    Don't be proud that you outsmarted everyone because your stuff is rotted out!!!
    Yeah, real ****in' proud that I have not had my boat in the water yet. Don't be an idiot. I have never read a post on here about those gaskets going bad and subsequently flooding all of the cylinders. However, had it been a cracked inner wall of the log, how would you have added that to you annual "preventative maintenance checklist?"
    You will notice that all of the replies were for the most logical things: Head Gasket or Intake Gasket. I have had two jet boats in the last ten years and both had logs on them. Never had this problem before. I have blown two head gaskets but never one of these. In fact, if you read this and my other posts, you will see that I had a bad intake gasket that was leaking a little bit and replaced that. This bad gasket was probably caused by too much presure from the bowl so I put a bypass on it set a 12-15 psi. I also took all of the crap non-stanless steel nuts and bolts out and replaced them with stainless steel nuts and bolts. So, I am not sitting on my ass to wait for things to break.
    Your logic would be that I tear the motor down every year and check every gasket. That makes no sense. You could not have seen this with the naked eye since it eroded on the inside. If it had looked to be rotted out, I would have definitely changed it because I don't have time to be floating down river with a wife and two kids all pissed off. But unless you take it apart, you would have never known. Save the crystal ball B.S. for someone else.

minnesota_duane
    I'm checking mine in the morning!

Moneypitt
    Make it a habit to run the engine on the ramp after a days boating. Just about 30 seconds or so, enough to heat up / dry out the inside of the entire exhaust system. No standing water, no rusted gaskets,(metal) and no rusted snail studs. Besides, even logs sound cool dry..........Just 30 seconds or so........MP

probablecause
    Make it a habit to run the engine on the ramp after a days boating. Just about 30 seconds or so, enough to heat up / dry out the inside of the entire exhaust system. No standing water, no rusted gaskets,(metal) and no rusted snail studs. Besides, even logs sound cool dry..........Just 30 seconds or so........MP
    I normally do that, but not for that long. I will add it to the list. I am also going to take the drain bolts out at the end of the season that are on the bottom of the logs themselves and let it completely drain. A lot of this stuff is learn as you go. Oh well.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast