Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WTF, water in all passenger cylinders BBC

Daytona100
    Yeah, real ****in' proud that I have not had my boat in the water yet. Don't be an idiot. I have never read a post on here about those gaskets going bad and subsequently flooding all of the cylinders. However, had it been a cracked inner wall of the log, how would you have added that to you annual "preventative maintenance checklist?"
    You will notice that all of the replies were for the most logical things: Head Gasket or Intake Gasket. I have had two jet boats in the last ten years and both had logs on them. Never had this problem before. I have blown two head gaskets but never one of these. In fact, if you read this and my other posts, you will see that I had a bad intake gasket that was leaking a little bit and replaced that. This bad gasket was probably caused by too much pressure from the bowl so I put a bypass on it set a 12-15 psi. I also took all of the crap non-stainless steel nuts and bolts out and replaced them with stainless steel nuts and bolts. So, I am not sitting on my ass to wait for things to break.
    Your logic would be that I tear the motor down every year and check every gasket. That makes no sense. You could not have seen this with the naked eye since it eroded on the inside. If it had looked to be rotted out, I would have definitely changed it because I don't have time to be floating down river with a wife and two kids all pissed off. But unless you take it apart, you would have never known. Save the crystal ball B.S. for someone else.
    Dude you can,t see that rotted gasket with your well educated naked eye after you checked everything. Keep running your shit box until something rots out and then beg for ideas on why its f--ed up. Sorry just not the way I do things!!!! Mike

flat broke
    This will probably catch some crap, but the "running the motor dry" on a jetboat to evacuate water in the passages is pretty useless. For one, there is no water pump to push the water out, so once the pump is unloaded the flow of water is going to stop, and water will settle to any low point below the outlet for the cooling system. Any vacum the exiting exhaust is going to pull won't have a snowballs chance and pulling water up and over the snails, let alone out of the block. The only thing "drying out the pipes" does is allow guys with OTs to purge the last little bit of water out of the bend in the primaries on the headers so they don't rust out from the inside; or so the motor doesn't take a gulp water if the water didn't evaporate before you went to start it again.
    If you don't believe me on this, take the pepsi challenge next time you get your boat out of the water. Feel free to rev the piss out of it on the ramp after you pull it out. Then when the boat is on level ground, pull one of the cooling hoses running to the bottom of the log or the drain plugs if your logs are so equipped. There will be water that drains out of it. If your logs aren't setup with a bung/fitting in front of the elbow, pull one of the drain plugs on the block; either way, you'll get some water out of the thing. Trust me, I drain my lightnings after every trip because there is water left in the jackets that would otherwise sit there with nothing to do but foul things up.
    With aluminum manifolds, it doesn't take long to heat things up to the point where surfaces can get distorted. By the time you got stuff hot enough to boil the standing water out of the exhaust and block, you'd have bigger problems to worry about.
    The next issue is that running the thing dry for 30 seconds every time you pull the boat out of the water will reduce the life of your wear ring to impeller clearance. While we can most definitely debate how much it degrades the clearance, you can't ignore the fact that it does cause premature wear on a tight pump.
    Glad you found the true culprit for the problem, and hopefully the rest of the motor is an oil change and gaskets away from running well.

probablecause
    Dude you can’t see that rotted gasket with your well educated naked eye after you checked everything. Keep running your shit box until something rots out and then beg for ideas on why its f--ed up. Sorry just not the way I do things!!!! Mike
    What you are seeing is the mangled inner ring after I had to use a screwdriver to pry apart the log from the riser. When they were flush together, you would have never known. Ask anyone here who runs them. Since they were never pulled apart, how would you know Einstein? But your fu*k-stick mentality has obviously clouded you knowledge of the subject. Since you are not running them, you would not know. "Beg for Ideas" or pick other jet boaters brains. I don't equate the two as the same but once again, another dumb-ass coment from the man with the crystal ball. So keep playing Monday morning quarterback. Shit happens in the boating world and you must have the only boat that is maintenance free.

Daytona100
    What you are seeing is the mangled inner ring after I had to use a screwdriver to pry apart the log from the riser. Whey they were flush together, you would have never known. Ask anyone here who runs them. But you ****stick mentality has obviously clouded you knowledge of the subject. Since you are not running them, you would not know. "Beg for Ideas" or pick other jet boaters brains. I don't equate the two as the same. So keep playing Monday morning quarterback with you dumb-ass crystal ball. Shit happens in the boating world and you must have the only boat that is maintenance free.
    Wrong some sort of maintenance would have prevented your problem but like I said don't do anything and see what breaks next!!!!!! Shitbox!!!!

pw_Tony
    Wrong some sort of maintenance would have prevented your problem but like I said don't do anything and see what breaks next!!!!!! Shitbox!!!!
    To see something like that would be pretty difficult. I guess if you wore some white gloves and took apart your exhaust frequently to make sure it didn't happen then you might catch it.
    But usually Logs are pretty good and things like this don't happen, because if they did often someone would have said something.
    This sounds bad but I'm glad it happened to probable cause first so if something like that happens to mine I'll know another place to check, sorry Probable.
    I really doubt you could see that that ring or gasket had gone bad.
    my .02

probablecause
    Wrong some sort of maintenance would have prevented your problem but like I said don't do anything and see what breaks next!!!!!! Shitbox!!!!. I am going to pull all of the carpet up and check all of the stringers next because nothing is wrong with them that I can see or hear. But I might have termites down there right Mike?

Daytona100
    . I am going to pull all of the carpet up and check all of the stringers next because nothing is wrong with them that I can see or hear. But I might have termites down there right Mike?
    Depends on how old your shitbox is. Might not be a bad idea.

boats&bars
    Im not trying to add fuel to anyones fire but I try and polish my lags as part of my maintnence and youcan tell when those gasgets go bad, I just found one that was leaking when I was polishing the logs. as far as calling someones boat a shitbox, I guess you would have to take into account the persons ,budget, mechanical abilities, and how clean they keep their toys...
    my boat was a friggin mess when I got it , It still needs a lot of work but I have one up on 90% of the people on the boards mine is paid in full........

SmokinLowriderSS
    You haven't tried to take a set of snail risers off of a set of logs lately have you?
    Mine held water good for 27 years untill the manifold itself corroded thru and cracked internally. A local guy offered to sell the still good large size snails for me but that left me with getting them off of the now-high-school-shop-bound manifolds.
    I had no metal sandwich layup, just 1 gasket on each side, and I destroyed the aft inch of manifold from colapsing and tearing up the water jackets to attempt to get the snail to come off over the STUDS that were in the manifold. There was no good way to get the studs off either and then break the parts apart. I tried.
    If you do this easilly, then you are the ONLY one who dismantles them every year just solely to replace the gasket.
    The ONLY result of running the engine out of the water on the trailer to "blow the water out of the log manifolds will be screwed up, overheated, warped, manifolds which are full of water. There is about a quart of liquid in each manifold in the water jacket passages and it will not be "blown out" by running the engine, period. There should be NONE in the manifold exhaust area itself to be "blown over" the snail/riser. If there is, the manifold is leaking somewhere.
    Yes, running the pump dry will also do nothing good for the primary pressure seal (known as the wear ring) in the jet pump.
    I guess you CAN have fun listening to the dry exhaist sound tho, really cool. Equally cool is the musical "tinkling" of the way damn hot manifolds cooling down later on. Kinda reminiscent of an air-cooled dirt bike on a hot day.

Moneypitt
    So, running "dry" on the ramp won't get the water out.........But, the manifolds will overheat because there is no water to cool them........But when you're done, the water will still be in there????.......OK, I stand corrected. ..MP

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast