Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WTF, water in all passenger cylinders BBC

minnesota_duane
    My left hand log had a split on the bottom side from freezeing, seems the previous owner or maybe the one before him didn't pull the drain plug to winterize it. I pulled the snail, it was a bitch! I used the torch to heat around the studs best I could still wouldn't slide off so I got out my long barrel Matco air hammer and drove it off. Raised hell with the gasket surface surface on the snail. That was easily fixed with some 80 grit paper on a long air board (normaly used for sanding body filler) I also used the air board to do the exhaust port sides of the logs, mine were warped bad and it worked great to cut the aluminum.
    Now after reading about this I am going to the shop today and pull the hoses off the logs and put some air to them. The engine I pulled had pitted cylinder walls from having water in it before. I thought it may have come from exposure to the elements, but this has me worried. My interior is going to be done this week, and this is about the last F'ing thing I need.

PC2
    Im not trying to add fuel to anyones fire but I try and polish my lags as part of my maintnence and youcan tell when those gasgets go bad, I just found one that was leaking when I was polishing the logs. as far as calling someones boat a shitbox, I guess you would have to take into account the persons ,budget, mechanical abilities, and how clean they keep their toys...
    my boat was a friggin mess when I got it , It still needs a lot of work but I have one up on 90% of the people on the boards mine is paid in full........
    I have read this post from start to finish and the only thing I can say is that this Daytona100 guy has provided nothing constructive to helping the post. The guy had a problem with his boat and from his appearance, “Mr. Credit Card” (Daytona100) thinks that everything is a preventative maintenance issue. I used to take those logs off on a regular basis and contrary to the other poster about clearly being able to see a bad gasket, he is wrong. Unless that gasket is blown out, there is no way to tell. Especially with you are running the gaskets with the Indmar ring between them on each set. Maybe if your bolts were losing and you could actually see some spacing, but no way.
    Secondly, the Just Jets forum has always seemed like a “family” type forum where everyone here gets a chance to help other people out. All Daytona100 did was keep spewing the preventive maintenance garbage when in reality, most people aren’t replacing gaskets annually as part of their preventive maintenance. Additionally, Daytona100’s presentation sucked. But I would expect nothing less from someone who owned an "shitbox" outdrive.

Moneypitt
    preventive maintenance garbage when in reality, most people aren’t replacing gaskets annually as part of their preventive maintenance.
    Boy, you got that right. When I got my logs the studs were wasted. I had the old ones EDM'd out, replaced with stainless......The last thing I wanted to do was take them apart, ever..........I would suggest the petcocks in the lowest places possible in the logs and the snails............MP

MBlaster
    As a relative newb and wanna be wrench I concentrate my efforts on the engine and pump areas. I've never thought the exhaust logs would present such problems.
    What should I be doing or looking out for to keep this from happening to me?

Daytona100
    As a relative newb and wanna be wrench I concentrate my efforts on the engine and pump areas. I've never thought the exhaust logs would present such problems.
    What should I be doing or looking out for to keep this from happening to me?
    Apparently you just wait until they fill half your motor with water and then you deal with it!!!!!

boats&bars
    Apparently you just wait until they fill half your motor with water and then you deal with it!!!!!
    That sounds like a plan.................

probablecause
    Another valid brainfart from Crystal Ball Mike.

Since it's in all cylinders on one side sounds like it entered from the exhaust manifold or header (per jbone).
    When you fired it was it on the garden hose and was the hose on after the engine shut off?
    Intake gasket doesn't make much sense since water is not present at all intake runners gasket surface. 30 psi seems a little high too, 20 is plenty.
    Hopefully no rods were bent trying to crank it over full of water.
    Injesting water from exhaust logs is fairly common for many reasons, including cracked logs, burnout from age, corrosion and gasket failure on the end like this one. Particularly on older logs. I always caution buyers to beware of getting a set of older well used logs for these reasons. Seen alot of water issues with them over the years.
    I've seen a few with the metal backup plates but have never seen a source for them. We use the heavy black exhaust gaskets. The risers are normally solid flanges so it's a solid backup for the gasket. With the high end gaskets you generally are good to go. Of course the end of the log surface must be flat and true to seal. If corroded this may require some welding and repair as well as new studs, possibly helicoils, etc. It can get ugly where corrosion has set in over time. At some point you have to make a decision if it's just more cost effective to get new ones. Nothing worse that to spend a bunch of effort fixing and then just have them burn out anyway shortly after because they're just old and used up.
    I would still check the rods being the starter hit the water hard (hydrauliced) and labored to turn over. It would be a shame to fix the exhaust, bolt it back together and then have bottom end issues because of a slightly bent rod or something. At least that would be my approach.
    As for those beating the guy up, hey shit happens. Pretty difficult to see and internal log failure coming imo especially for non mechanic extroridinares, (which are most boaters).
    As long as it was mentioned, running the engine dry on the ramp is pretty useless, with the potential for damage outweighing anything positive.

probablecause
    Rexone - Do you have the part# for the gaskets?

Rexone - Do you have the part# for the gaskets?
    Yes, 470103

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast