Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Grocery strike

HM
    Your preaching to the wrong crowd Thor. We're a minority around this place.
    Hey....people didn't get to be ballers while holding a union job (alone).

HM
    Hey there's nothing like a good ol union argument to get some action going around here.

Big Warlock
    How many Union Bosses took a pay cut or no paycheck during the last strike?
    Ha ha ha ha
    The last argument was over the companies wanting the employees to pay a portion of their medical benefits! Fock them! If you want a better job, go find one!

djunkie
    You are probably right...and I am glad you said friend!
    I am an entrapraneur at heart and that is why I ultimately started my business...hell, I don't even like regular jobs where there are no unions!
    I used to think just like you before i even new about my current job. My family owned a building material company and was run out of business by Home Depot along with a lot of the other smaller building material yards. Since then the thought of owning my own business doesn't even intrigue me. I like going to work, working my 8 hours, (or sometimes less ) then going home without having to bring my business problems with me. I sleep VERY well at night.

djunkie
    Djunkie, I agree with most of your conclusions also. The last grocery rumble was a strike against Vons and a lockout by the other 2. This will be a strike( if it happens) against Albertsons and a lockout by the others.
    I was actually referring to the Longshore lockout. But yes you are correct about the grocery store. While I didn't agree with some of the demands of the grocery store union in their last negotiations I still honored their picket lines. I don't blame anyone for trying to improve their lively hoods but you have to be reasonable. If they strike again I'll still honor the picket lines as I do most of my shopping at Costco and Trader Joes now anyways. :devil:

djunkie
    Hey Dj, let's go set up a picket line around Rexy's building and try an unionize his 2 employees and the dog.
    Rio
    :jawdrop:

djunkie
    Hey....people didn't get to be ballers while holding a union job (alone).
    Well that sucks. I'm union and a non-baller. :cry: :cry:

HM
    I used to think just like you before i even new about my current job. My family owned a building material company and was run out of business by Home Depot along with a lot of the other smaller building material yards. Since then the thought of owning my own business doesn't even intrigue me. I like going to work, working my 8 hours, (or sometimes less ) then going home without having to bring my business problems with me. I sleep VERY well at night.
    I understand what you are saying, and have no idea why your parents business failed. There are plenty of businesses that thrive in that same business that have developed niches....I know, because I worked in the building materials business for 15 years - I know most of the manufacturers. I am good friends with the Hamiltons and the Pecks which are two companies that chose different routes to market when Home Depot emerged. 95%++ of Hamilton's business does NOT go thru Home Depot and they are the largest manufacturer of textures and taping compounds in the west. Custom Building Products sells 90% of the Custom Building Products Name thru Home Depot, but they did buy a competitor that was well liked and used contactor specific distribution. Both of these companies are family ran companies and both have thrived in the era of Home Depot. Would you like to know about Omega, or perhaps some of the nationals?
    I understand not wanting the stress of business ownership...it is not for everyone. The best businesses usually had to fail a couple times. Even Home Depot went out of business when they first started. No one would sell them anything the second time they got going because they never paid their suppliers from the first time they got started...But, they had a vision and knew it was possible and teamed up with Behr Process...also a 2nd attempt at getting a business going...and they are where they are today. I am driven by my vision and passion. When ever I fail, it is only a failure if quit. Macy's had 7 failed retail stores before the owner found success. The successful people in life are not successful without failure...it is thier ability to embrace failure as the necessary requirment for success that makes them successful....the road to success goes right thru the dump.
    The good night sleep you are getting is based on false security because the company you work for could be out of business just as quickly as your parents, only you will now be the LAST to know because everything will be just fine until you get your pinkslip. There are NO guarantees in life...no security. Anyone selling you this is making far more money than you and truly doesn't give a shit about you.

djunkie
    I understand what you are saying, and have no idea why your parents business failed. There are plenty of businesses that thrive in that same business that have developed niches....I know, because I worked in the building materials business for 15 years - I know most of the manufacturers. I am good friends with the Hamiltons and the Pecks which are two companies that chose different routes to market when Home Depot emerged. 95%++ of Hamilton's business does NOT go thru Home Depot and they are the largest manufacturer of textures and taping compounds in the west. Custom Building Products sells 90% of the Custom Building Products Name thru Home Depot, but they did buy a competitor that was well liked and used contactor specific distribution. Both of these companies are family ran companies and both have thrived in the era of Home Depot. Would you like to know about Omega, or perhaps some of the nationals?
    I understand not wanting the stress of business ownership...it is not for everyone. The best businesses usually had to fail a couple times. Even Home Depot went out of business when they first started. No one would sell them anything the second time they got going because they never paid their suppliers from the first time they got started...But, they had a vision and knew it was possible and teamed up with Behr Process...also a 2nd attempt at getting a business going...and they are where they are today. I am driven by my vision and passion. When ever I fail, it is only a failure if quit. Macy's had 7 failed retail stores before the owner found success. The successful people in life are not successful without failure...it is thier ability to embrace failure as the necessary requirment for success that makes them successful....the road to success goes right thru the dump.
    The good night sleep you are getting is based on false security because the company you work for could be out of business just as quickly as your parents, only you will now be the LAST to know because everything will be just fine until you get your pinkslip. There are NO guarantees in life...no security. Anyone selling you this is making far more money than you and truly doesn't give a shit about you.
    This is true. But it the "not bringing my work home with me" that allows me to sleep good. Every job can end tomorrow. So be it, I'm qualified to do lots of things so I'd just got get another job. Owning your own business brings on a lot more responsibilities that aren't worth the money I'd be making. Hell I make a lot more money then some of my fiends that own businesses.
    As for the business failing, my grandfather in the 80's was known as the "King" of drywall. He did very well. Then in the 90's a Home Depot opened up the street from him. He just couldn't compete with their pricing. Had no choice but to close doors in the late 90's. Lucky he had done well the years before cause he would have lost his ass.

Baja Big Dog
    Now come on guys...read the last para again...in 15-20 years, I guess I forgot to use the smile...and the "been talking about doing it for the last 15 years, I guess I should have used the same smile again....