Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 18 foot miller wood deck flatbottom restoration

garrett

BOAT ANCHOR
    Johnmiller/Garrett: You never know what's going on around you up in those hills around Coarsegold.I have a very good friend who is redoing a complete wood deck on a 1966 Howard circle boat who is over in Northfork Ca. He also owns a 1965 all wood Miller flatbottom which he hopes to restore in the next year or so. I told him about your project or what I have seen of it on the boards (He doesn't have a computer) and he would love to come over and meet you guys. His name is Clayton John (CJ), and his phone number is 559 960-1811. His father worked for Mercury boats in Burbank Ca. in the late forties and early to mid fifties, when he wasn't working in the aircraft industry, and CJ learned the craft of working on wood boats from him. CJ is recovering from shoulder surgery he had last week so he won't be doing much on the Howard for five or six weeks, and it would probably be good therapy for him to come over and see what you guys have going on and talk about wood decks. Please give him a call. Thanks -- He also owns a Deaver (diMarco) runner bottom hull that he did his own wood deck on (you don't see many runner bottoms with wood decks)

garrett
    Boat Anchor
    My dad John is restoring the boat at his house in Arroyo Grande. We may take the boat to some of the lakes up here when it's finished. Wich he or anyone else who would like to see it is welcome. If he is ever in the central coast let me know. 559-760-4742. He is welcome to drop by. I'm sure my dad would enjoy his conversation. He has been working on the boat after work and on some of the weekends. And been having a blast. Unfortunately my brother and I haven't been down there much, I have a carpet cleaning business and things been pretty busy. But that's okay. We will be down there for the dirty work.lol A lot of people with shops and projects at home here in the mountains! Sounds like your friend has some cool projects. My grandfather got his start from aviation as well. He worked in the wind tunnel experimental department for northrop aviation during the war. They used to build the protype planes out of wood for test purposes. I'm told because his parents were from germany the gov. kept a close eye on him. It's amazing how much knowledge has come from aviation and later dispersed to so many things.

johnmiller
    Got the deck jig done, so now we are restoring the hull. New stringers and mahagony floors, then carbon fiber between the stringers.

johnmiller
    Another picture just before laminating in the mahagony floor on the left side.

Wow, and I though painting a boat was a lot of work. My hat is off to you John. Please kept the pictures coming when you have time.:jawdrop:

coolchange
    I'm also getting ready to do this to my Rayson. My deck is junk but the hull is solid. Sure would be nice to get a heads up on adhesives etc. Arroyo Grande? I'm up there quite a bit, Pismo Morro bay, Lopez.

dossangers
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...&postid=540163 Keep the pics coming that is some great CRAFTMANSHIP! we had mandellas and all wood cambell cruiser 20' and the fastest 16' miller on clear lake in the 60's called the'' chicken ship''

dossanger, what a small world! Thats the 1st Hot Boat I ever saw! I used to run from the cabin out onto the dock just to watch it go by. You could hear it coming a long ways off, WOW!

Kindsvater Flat
    The page I made is being hosted at my personal site since dragboatrace.com crashed and died. Nothing was backed up. I will slowly be adding pictures that Hud, SSMike and I took at various outings.
    http://www.schoutenranch.com
    Look under boats then pictures. Its at the bottom.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast