Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SBC oiling mods

VAMI
    Seymour Makes The I Buy It By The Case Part#620-1525

Moneypitt
    Use the BBC oil pump. The pick up on the SBC is 5/8, the BBC is 3/4, and the BBC hi vol has taller gears than the standard BBC....Look into Mellings newest pumps. Screw in pick up, gear axles supported in the cover, screw in relief, hex drive, and to a knats ass as far as clearances inside. If using a custom pan you may have to modify the pick up, (10777) or go with the press in (10778). These pumps are ready to use, right outa the box! And that is something that you won't find in most aftermarket pumps................MP

thatguy
    What connecting rods are you using? I prefer using the 350 rods for less rod ratio (side loading). This easier on the internals and allows higher rpm mechanically.
    Tip: If using the 350 rods, make certain to use SPS bolts. These have a greater relief angled on the bolt head to give more clearance at the cam lobes. Look at the bolt heads on whatever ones you use and make sure they have a large relief angle. Still may have to "touch" a couple with your prefered method of metal removal.
    Check the clearances with a piece of coat hanger to get in those hard to measure spots! Yeah, I know, but it works.
    Tommy

67weimann
    Use the BBC oil pump. The pick up on the SBC is 5/8, the BBC is 3/4, and the BBC hi vol has taller gears than the standard BBC....Look into Mellings newest pumps. Screw in pick up, gear axles supported in the cover, screw in relief, hex drive, and to a knats ass as far as clearances inside. If using a custom pan you may have to modify the pick up, (10777) or go with the press in (10778). These pumps are ready to use, right outa the box! And that is something that you won't find in most aftermarket pumps................MP
    Thanks for the heads up. So a sbc/bbc oil pumps are interchangeable or do you have to modify the bb pump to fit on a sb?

Moneypitt
    Thanks for the heads up. So a sbc/bbc oil pumps are interchangeable or do you have to modify the bb pump to fit on a sb?
    Bolts right on......However, Mellings offers one for the SBC as well. Check it out, maybe the same pump.....But those (107?? series) are the only pumps I've seen that are ready to run.....The others need to be re worked.......MP

kcvega
    IMO do not use restrictors to the lifters! Everyone has there own opinion and that's mine. I ruined a set of rollers by using restrictors. There's not much oil pumped at idle and I believe there is still plenty to the mains without restrictors. I've ran the same crank and rods with no main or rod bearing issues for about 7 years now in my car. Went through a few stock blocks before I bought a Dart. This is in a street/strip car with lots of nitrous.

67weimann
    Bolts right on......However, Mellings offers one for the SBC as well. Check it out, maybe the same pump.....But those (107?? series) are the only pumps I've seen that are ready to run.....The others need to be re worked.......MP
    Good to know. Thanks for the advice...

GofastRacer
    First time I've heard of this. I'll look into it. Do you use regular high heat engine paint?
    I've painted blocks for a lot of years with no problems until I got one that for some reason had some kind of reaction to the paint and started to come off, fortunately I caught it in time on a tear down for inspection, otherwise I would have ended up with spun bearings!. After that I refuse to paint a block inside, I'll take the time and polish the valley and timing cover area!.. Just something to think about!..

GofastRacer
    IMO do not use restrictors to the lifters! Everyone has there own opinion and that's mine. I ruined a set of rollers by using restrictors. This is in a street/strip car with lots of nitrous.
    It is not the restrictors that caused your lifter problems, being on the street you're doing a lot of idling and that is the cause, this has always been a problem restrictors or not with roller lifters, there's just not enough oil to the rollers at idle, if you use the new pressureized lifters then there is always oil to the rollers even at idle!..

Moneypitt
    It is not the restrictors that caused your lifter problems, being on the street you're doing a lot of idling and that is the cause, this has always been a problem restrictors or not with roller lifters, there's just not enough oil to the rollers at idle, if you use the new pressureized lifters then there is always oil to the rollers even at idle!..
    What is this thing you call idling.........?? How do you do it, and what is the reason for it?..........And I will never paint the inside of any block........Ray

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast