Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SBC oiling mods

GofastRacer
    What is this thing you call idling.........?? How do you do it, and what is the reason for it?..........And I will never paint the inside of any block........Ray
    Well, occationally on the street you do have to stop for a red light ya know!..

maddad
    67weimann, a 6" rod 4" stroke leaves very little compression height on the piston for your ring package, if you're using a stock type block.
    SA design has a book called "How to Build Big Inch Chevy Smallblocks".
    It covers all the basics of squeezing the most CI from a smallblock.
    Good luck with your project.

kcvega
    It is not the restrictors that caused your lifter problems, being on the street you're doing a lot of idling and that is the cause, this has always been a problem restrictors or not with roller lifters, there's just not enough oil to the rollers at idle, if you use the new pressureized lifters then there is always oil to the rollers even at idle!..
    I will have to say you are wrong. It wiped out the cam and lifters within a couple hundred miles. I bought new lifters and cam, changed nothing else, pulled the restrictors and drove many thousands of miles trouble free. I've never put restrictors in another motor again. That's my experience anyways.

67weimann
    67weimann, a 6" rod 4" stroke leaves very little compression height on the piston for your ring package, if you're using a stock type block.
    Accordng to JE specs... pistons are designed for a 9.000 deck height leaves 1.000 compression distance.
    Good or no good. Is this gonna cause reliability issues?

67weimann
    Moneypitt...Looked into the Melling oil pumps. They make a SBC pump with 3/4 pick up and all the goodies the same as the BBC one. Now the question is, 10% or 25% more volume than stock?
    Still a little confused as to the restrictors. Good or bad?

GofastRacer
    I will have to say you are wrong.
    If you say so!..

Moneypitt
    Moneypitt...Looked into the Melling oil pumps. They make a SBC pump with 3/4 pick up and all the goodies the same as the BBC one. Now the question is, 10% or 25% more volume than stock?
    Still a little confused as to the restrictors. Good or bad?
    The volume depends on several things. How loose/tight is the bottom end? Rod side clearance? Oil weight? And use.......I would go with the 10 percent. I don't like excessive oil pressure, and volume adds to pressure. If you're gonna wring this things neck, there are alot of other things to think about besides oil restrictors. Pan volume is critical regardless, as is an oil cooler. With those two things in mind, either oil pump will work, with or without the restrictors.....As Art mentioned, use the pressure oiled type rollers and don't worry about them...........That said, the PS 89 has never had a valve train failure and I use the restrictors in it. It is a race only application however and never idles. Never............It does run 7500+ for 5 miles a heat, 4 heats or more per weekend......AND it DOES have a rev kit............MP

maddad
    Accordng to JE specs... pistons are designed for a 9.000 deck height leaves 1.000 compression distance.
    Good or no good. Is this gonna cause reliability issues?
    That little height will need support for the oil ring where it crosses the pin bore and put the top ring much closer to the top of the piston than you want it for long runs at high load. Not such a big deal at the drag strip, but not ideal for a smallblock you want to wring out a bit.

67weimann
    That little height will need support for the oil ring where it crosses the pin bore and put the top ring much closer to the top of the piston than you want it for long runs at high load. Not such a big deal at the drag strip, but not ideal for a smallblock you want to wring out a bit.
    They do have oil rail support. And explain why it is not good to have the top ring that close?

67weimann
    If you're gonna wring this things neck, there are alot of other things to think about besides oil restrictors. Pan volume is critical regardless, as is an oil cooler.
    I plan on running it hard and also plan to use the largest pan I can get and use an oil cooler.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast