Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: where is that placecraft?

publicnuisance
    If anyone else has placecraft pics please post them. thanks
    CS are you looking for general placecraft photo's or specific boats? Steve Bowers of DPS has some..

hellman2u
    Years ago when Dan had the Going places boat , he crashed @ Dexter. I don't know how many of those boats the Place's had or sold other than the one Dan had ????

CS are you looking for general placecraft photo's or specific boats? Steve Bowers of DPS has some..
    General placecraft pics.
    thanks

Pops@Aggressor
    I could be wrong but I think Dan Kirkman bought it and then started running one of Tom Papps Stealths.Your not wrong- Place barrell rolled it one time and sold it to Dan Kirkman who changed it to Awesome Toy by a Paint Job. Seven years ago I met Dan at the IHBA Finals and that thing could not get down a track on a set. Tom worked with Dan and then Dan went to Harold Bruce and some time after the boat rolled & demolished. Dan did a lot of checking and I had him call David Kirkland about the design of the Hull and his problems with it. David (Smoke on the Water) had us build a custom impeller for it his, he was folding impellers back over @ 155 MPH range -David later ran numbers which were never matched (in the 170s) and the boat went airborne on a top run( pictures exist showing the bottom of the pump hanging down some 15-20 above the water with the boat verticle above that in Texas). David called me looking for another Hull and would not go back into another Place Craft because you could not load them with out shoe below which he felt was a NO NO. I recommended Dan talk to Tommy on the EDGE Hull and his second hull was a TPR with Capsule. Funny story was I later called David and asked him in jest, if he was doing a tune up on the motor when it was in the air ( several people called me and said the motor was "whingging" some 10 Grand while in the air). David says "You Only have A Steering Wheel and Foot Petal to Brace yourself by -when you know your going to Crash Bad. Dans was the last of the newer type Place Craft Race Hulls to go. Several of the first style are still around including the first Smoke on the Water. Toms hull as a Capsule has started to work out well for the Jet and Yet I think and agree with David Kirkland in a top fuel Jet I would go to the outboard catamarand style with no hull lift (or enclosed tunnell) as that kind of H/P will generate its own lift. David stated that what happened he ran a 170+ number and as he shut down the hull would not slow down, It just kept going, so his logic was to release the pressure by blowing the POP OFF and now fells that was the only down pressure he had. As soon as he blew the Valve the boat went air born. End of Story.

Your not wrong- Place barrell rolled it one time and sold it to Dan Kirkman who changed it to Awesome Toy by a Paint Job. Seven years ago I met Dan at the IHBA Finals and that thing could not get down a track on a set. Tom worked with Dan and then Dan went to Harold Bruce and some time after the boat rolled & demolished. Dan did a lot of checking and I had him call David Kirkland about the design of the Hull and his problems with it. David (Smoke on the Water) had us build a custom impeller for it his, he was folding impellers back over @ 155 MPH range -David later ran numbers which were never matched (in the 170s) and the boat went airborne on a top run( pictures exist showing the bottom of the pump hanging down some 15-20 above the water with the boat verticle above that in Texas). David called me looking for another Hull and would not go back into another Place Craft because you could not load them with out shoe below which he felt was a NO NO. I recommended Dan talk to Tommy on the EDGE Hull and his second hull was a TPR with Capsule. Funny story was I later called David and asked him in jest, if he was doing a tune up on the motor when it was in the air ( several people called me and said the motor was "whingging" some 10 Grand while in the air). David says "You Only have A Steering Wheel and Foot Petal to Brace yourself by -when you know your going to Crash Bad. Dans was the last of the newer type Place Craft Race Hulls to go. Several of the first style are still around including the first Smoke on the Water. Toms hull as a Capsule has started to work out well for the Jet and Yet I think and agree with David Kirkland in a top fuel Jet I would go to the outboard catamarand style with no hull lift (or enclosed tunnell) as that kind of H/P will generate its own lift. David stated that what happened he ran a 170+ number and as he shut down the hull would not slow down, It just kept going, so his logic was to release the pressure by blowing the POP OFF and now fells that was the only down pressure he had. As soon as he blew the Valve the boat went air born. End of Story.
    Kirland is definately one dude with big balls! We threw back a few at Lakefest this year with Wolfie ... good times & great stories!

wsuwrhr
    The stories and history HB recieves here is nothing short of amazing.
    Thanks again for another cool post!!!
    Three thumbs up!
    Brian
    Your not wrong- Place barrell rolled it one time and sold it to Dan Kirkman who changed it to Awesome Toy by a Paint Job. Seven years ago I met Dan at the IHBA Finals and that thing could not get down a track on a set. Tom worked with Dan and then Dan went to Harold Bruce and some time after the boat rolled & demolished. Dan did a lot of checking and I had him call David Kirkland about the design of the Hull and his problems with it. David (Smoke on the Water) had us build a custom impeller for it his, he was folding impellers back over @ 155 MPH range -David later ran numbers which were never matched (in the 170s) and the boat went airborne on a top run( pictures exist showing the bottom of the pump hanging down some 15-20 above the water with the boat verticle above that in Texas). David called me looking for another Hull and would not go back into another Place Craft because you could not load them with out shoe below which he felt was a NO NO. I recommended Dan talk to Tommy on the EDGE Hull and his second hull was a TPR with Capsule. Funny story was I later called David and asked him in jest, if he was doing a tune up on the motor when it was in the air ( several people called me and said the motor was "whingging" some 10 Grand while in the air). David says "You Only have A Steering Wheel and Foot Petal to Brace yourself by -when you know your going to Crash Bad. Dans was the last of the newer type Place Craft Race Hulls to go. Several of the first style are still around including the first Smoke on the Water. Toms hull as a Capsule has started to work out well for the Jet and Yet I think and agree with David Kirkland in a top fuel Jet I would go to the outboard catamarand style with no hull lift (or enclosed tunnell) as that kind of H/P will generate its own lift. David stated that what happened he ran a 170+ number and as he shut down the hull would not slow down, It just kept going, so his logic was to release the pressure by blowing the POP OFF and now fells that was the only down pressure he had. As soon as he blew the Valve the boat went air born. End of Story.

publicnuisance
    There are a few of the old style PC's left..I believe snowman has one,Buckeye Express,destroyed,Blown fever in in Calf. no motor and I own the old Public Nuisance 619...I will try to post some pics I have old drag boat newspapers and mags...I can scan them in...I believe that the brothers place built some of the fastest hulls in history..Don Bowers told me that they did some changes with the hull , changed the nose cone and Ron Farmer did the design..619 got into the high 160's and still lives...

I talked to some dude a few years back who has Ralph Mills old Blown Fever #517 boat, he said he was converting it to a lake boat, they went over 170 I believe.

Bense468
    Here are a few pics Steve Speck e-mailed me. The red one with the PSI motor is Mike Portor's. Yellow and blue is Tom Peterson's
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/3...kdingrpip9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
    This beauty is Specks. Both the red and this one are new layups.
    http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8...0gkcmsgbf8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Nucking futs
    Bitchen boats. I Saw Porters and Petersons in needles and they are F'n Awesome.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast