Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PLate Adjustment Help

H2OBaja1
    I have two questions that I need help with, first how should I ajust my plates before I hook up the rod from my pedals,I know I will need to pull the boat back on the trailer so the plates are clear,
    the boat is a 69-Sanger True Flat with two plates, also I have the dual-spring assembly with a up&down pedals how do you install the springs so they keep the rod pullng up should the springs be some what extended to keep tension on the plates, I had it together once and found out I had no up pedal it was keeping the plates down , when I would push the up-pedal it would collapse the springs sorry for the spelling, any help would be greatly appriciated, going to try and make it to Needles the 3-4 May. Thanks in-advance, Jay

Sangerboy
    Jay ,Do you have a mechanism that allows you to lock the plates into position?

H2OBaja1
    SangerBoy, yes my pedals have a lock so you can lock the plates, and when you push either pedal it unlocks the plates. Jay

Sangerboy
    I have a locking handle with one (down) overide pedal, so obviously my springs tension against the downplate action. However when I release the pedal the plates will return to whatever position I have the locker handle set in. Wait till this evening when the racers start logging on, I'm sure they'll have some erudite advice for you on 2-pedal setups

BigBoyToys
    Be VERY cautious on the 2 pedal setup. Seen lotsa folks use the wrong pedal at the wrong time and go over..... Typically, the 2 pedal setup is only utilized in circle boats, but I have seen a few in Dragboats (they just don't use both). Use the down pedal and stay away from the up pedal...
    [ April 11, 2003, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: BigBoyToys ]

Advise on an up pedal, take a hack saw and cut it off.

Sangerboy
    I believe I read the same comment from 058 a few months ago on another thread but similar topic. It sounds like you should tension your springs against the down pedal and don't worry about the up pedal

My $.02
    Set up. Start by getting as much spring tension as you can forcing the plate down. I would go as far as to use a ratchet strap or a come along on the springs. Then use youre locking handle to lock the plates somewhere close to when the plates are flat with the bottom of the boat. Install a colar on the shaft resting against a giude to not alow the plates to go any highter (up stop).
    Reason- By getting a large amount of tension on youre springs the plates will resist the suction of the water & stay against the up stop when you are off the down peddle, alowing you to rest you foot on the down peddle.
    Disclamer- knowing nothing about youre boat, I have sugjested plates flat with bottom as a starting point. You will need to experiment. Adjust the turnbuckles on the plate. One thing that I think people get a little lost on is that the boat jumps out of the water after it slams into the water. Point being, Carry the nose & it should ride smooth, If you doink at the launch it will be hard to stop the boat from bouncing. Getting the boat to run smooth without bouncing up & down & also not alowing the hull to grab water & stick to the water I'm thinking is the key.
    The most important thing- Let the boat tell you what it want's. I trully believe the more power you have (To a point) the easier it is to set up a boat. The older heavier true flats, without big horse power can be tough. My old Hondo was heavy, running a mild 460bbf & was set up totally wrong. It took alot of experimenting & because it was set up so wrong none of the "conventional" solutions worked. I had to try alot of stuff & let the boat tell me what it wanted.
    But esentialy in the long run I really dont know what I'm talking about. I just sound like I do. wink
    Or just wait until Needles, I have heard some of the guy's that run their are pretty quick. But I haven't seen any proof so be carefull of who you listen to.
    Morg.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    Hey Morg, I think you owe him some change on that .02 cents!

V-DRIVE VIDEO:
    Hey Morg, I think you owe him some change on that .02 cents! Where's the love B.M.
    BTW- it would have worked if you would not have given me away.
    Morg.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast