Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 1970 Sanger Flat

LandSpeedRacer
    Thanks for the info. Are you talking about something bolted to the cav plate? Like small skegs, or something horizontal like a dual element cav plate? Any pics anyone?
    What I was talking about was if anyone has ever put vertical runners along the bottom edge of the sides of the hull, that would be similar to a runner bottom but be bolted on? I guess you could also use angle, attached to the bottom of the hull. Just curious.:idea: :idea: :idea: It would probably be much cheaper than replacing the hull even though the performance might not be as good as a true runner bottom.
    I've seen the small skegs on the cavitation plate, and heard good things about doing that. Has anyone out there reading this tried the addition of the small skeg (s) to a cav plate, and if so, was there a difference?

coolchange
    I had a 70 Sanger flat. And what everyone is saying is true. Mine used to be an UBG. It ran 128 backin the day. I turned it into a river boat. I ran a chevy in the 90+ brackets and it was a fun boat. I loved the feeling of airing out the skeg and it running a little sideways. But if you let go of the wheel it would turn full lock in half a heart beat. No rocker and it rode like crap. Swallow tail plates and 12 degree box. All the wrong stuff. But in its day it was unbeatable. (ONDALAY-John Annons boat). But I just made it quicker not faster (Nitrous) for those 800-1000 ft river races and had a blast with it!

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    LSR there is a boat 030 Big Red that torgeson drives and it has a plate bolted to the center of the existing plate at like 3/8 of an inch drop. That boat hauls ass and consistantly wins the 8.0 bracket at ming at 120 plus m.p.h.
    Dave, I think Big red is one of those 1st year Hondo runnerbottoms (like 71). Look under the boat, I'll bet you'll see runners. Those boats appeared flat in the back but had a true runnerbottom.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    I still wonder if, say, before the runner bottom was produced, did anyone try modifying a true flat to improve stability and performance (that may have led to the developmant of a runner bottom)?
    If so, what did they do?
    Yes they did, they're called Biesemeyers, Barron sprints, Eliminator spiders, Hondo sprints, etc. Boats that are currently raced on the circle boat circuits. These boats were around the same time or (depending on which hull) after the 1st runnerbottoms.

FLYTE RISK
    Dave, I think Big red is one of those 1st year Hondo runnerbottoms (like 71). Look under the boat, I'll bet you'll see runners. Those boats appeared flat in the back but had a true runnerbottom.
    Jerry I disagree monkey bung had one of Jeff Blosdales early hondos and it was a three plate deal like a TR1 and I think it was a 72. Big Red has a plate under the center as I am sure you have seen as a matter of fact that is Capaldis old boat.

HIRED GUN
    Jerry I disagree monkey bung had one of Jeff Blosdales early hondos and it was a three plate deal like a TR1 and I think it was a 72. Big Red has a plate under the center as I am sure you have seen as a matter of fact that is Capaldis old boat.
    i think it was a 71 1/2 ?

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    I don't know what bung had but I've seen 4 or 5, 1971 Hondo runners. One had the double plate like big red and the others were 3 piece. Remember Mark Fairchilds yellow and white boat? It was one of these. There's a guy in Washington that races one in the nostalgia circle races.
    From the back, you can't even tell they're runnerbottoms.

sangerflatty
    I know they its a flatbottom but mine has a slight v ,very slight but what kind of hull is this, its a 69 sanger

CircleJerk
    There's a guy in Washington that races one in the nostalgia circle races.
    From the back, you can't even tell they're runnerbottoms.
    Jerry says, "Just the facts maam", and on this subject, all others better bail out! He is very educated on boats named after a Dog! It's kinda like Plumbers Goop, anything with that stupid of a name has to be good to sell!! What do you mean, you dont know about Goop? Should be in everyones tool box!
    The red 'Bad Animal' 1971 Hondo Nostalgia racer would have been champion long ago if he can hold rods in place a little longer. That boat Jerr mentioned has NOT been beaten for two years by Nordlings Laveys or Team Davis when it stays running. This year in Seattle he bested all others including a very potent Jones Pro Stock. His Hondo turns better than any Nostalgia boat I have ever seen in the last 7 years. The runners start near the driver and fade away just in front of the plate. No matter how bad the crew screws up this boats set up, it runs HARD!

LandSpeedRacer
    Does anyong have any pics of 030 Big Red?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345