Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alternator

I bought a one wire alternator but it has the two little terminals at the top of it, looks like one is used for a charging indicator light and the other one says to connect to the alternators battery terminal... but why, the main wire off the back of the alternator runs to the battery (well in my case the starter where the main positive connects), do i need to use those two small terms or just hook this think up with the positive connecting to my main positive source and ground to the block?

Sounds like a 3-wire alt to me.
    What brand is it?
    Can you put up a pic?

Moneypitt
    Yes. My understanding of a "one wire" is a 3 wire with the jumper between those terminals....This creates the one wire.........The "light" wire is not used.......MP

Moneypit that could be, the old alternator that was in this looked the same and a wire went from the main pos term to the bat and then another wire went from the main pos term to one of the little posts on the top, the other one wasnt used i dont think...

Yes. My understanding of a "one wire" is a 3 wire with the jumper between those terminals....This creates the one wire.........The "light" wire is not used.......MP
    The true 1-wire alternators (based on GM 10si) do this all inside the regulator and require NO extra external wires. You will usually see nothing but a black cover where the 2-wire plug would have gone. Any GM 10si can be made to work like a 1-wire by using a jumper from output terminal to one of the terminals in the plug(can't remember which terminal, 1 or 2,--CRS syndrome )
    Shaun, where did you get this and what brand?

Moneypitt
    The true 1-wire alternators (based on GM 10si) do this all inside the regulator and require NO extra external wires. You will usually see nothing but a black cover where the 2-wire plug would have gone. Any GM 10si can be made to work like a 1-wire by using a jumper from output terminal to one of the terminals in the plug(can't remember which terminal, 1 or 2,--CRS syndrome )
    Shaun, where did you get this and what brand?
    OK, I've never seen a real one, only created them. I can't remember which terminal either, but it is the one NOT for the light.......The jumper wire replaces the ignition 12 V for excitement..........Excited yet???....MP

502 JET
    Take a look here (http://www.ebasicpower.com/charge/alternatorwiring.htm) and pick out your altenator.

centerhill condor
    use the one wire and go boating. Mine had a "light wire" and I cut it off. the ampmeter still works fine.

beernut
    on the delco 3 wire, i have had to put a diode in the exciter wire, engine wouldnt shut down at all,or ran for a few seconds after switch was off, due to feedback :sqeyes:

Any recommendations or part numbers for a true one wire alt from the local kragen/autozone/pepboys?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast