Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: alternator

502 JET
    I doubt an auto parts store will have one. You can use a standard alternator by connecting the field wires one to switched ignition the other to the positive post on the back of the case.
    Check your local generator/starter re builder they should be able to help you with a true self excited one wire deal.
    I purchased new one from a Mercruiser dealer, it was a marine unit (screens in the case).
    I just got this one wire chrome alternator (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/105-A...QQihZ011QQitem Z320072508515QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW) off ebay, for my jet boat. Its very nice looking and seems to be of good quality. I got it in three days.
    There is four options for you. You should have that boat charging in no time.

GofastRacer
    Hey Shaun, you can get a kit from Summit for $35 to convert the 3 wire over to 1 wire, it also replaces the regulator with one that you don't have to rev it up to excite it!..
    One Wire Kit! (http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku)

I see GFR beat me to it with the Summit conversion idea.
    Shaun, considering what you accomplished with the engine build, swapping a few parts in an alternator will be a cake walk.

What about this? https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...50748_-1_71570
    Conversion kit is also a option i guess, just with the cost of a alt and conversion kit it's more than the above. Unless this conversion kit has a clear advantage over the above?

GofastRacer
    What about this? https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...50748_-1_71570
    Conversion kit is also a option i guess, just with the cost of a alt and conversion kit it's more than the above. Unless this conversion kit has a clear advantage over the above?
    I just assumed you had a stocker that you wanted to use as a 1 wire, but if you don't have one then you're better off just buying a 1 wire right off the bat. Power requirement will depend on what you have to feed, ignition, stereo, etc!...

i bought one from the local kragen because i thought i was going to mount it before i left, i will just take it back and buy that one wire deal. I'm just running gauges, bilges, and lights so i think this 80 amp alt should be plenty...

BrendellaJet
    Keep the kragen unit, if it goes bad you can bring it back, if the summit deal breaks you gotta buy another one...

wright on
    I removed 37 amp motorola alternator and went to replace with 51 amp alternator. The motorola has lower 3/4" bolt hole size, new one is 5/16"? IT is on a v drive blower motor and the motor mount has a 3/4" hole cut out. Is there alternators out there that are 3/4 inch mount? do I drill out the 5/16" do I sleeve the motor mount? and I havent even got to what wire goes where yet? was only getting a reading of about 12.3 volts at battery while running at idle and with throttle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12