Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: no alt + msd box?

BrendellaJet
    how old is the battery? I wouldn't do it, especially if you need to break in your cam at startup. get it set up right so that when the cam is broken in you can go to the lake.

rrrr
    So this one time I took the lil tub out for some testing.....Well, at the time I was currently running an HEI and alternator. I went for my first run and everything seemed fine. I was doin' the ol once-over at the dock and realized that I had forgotten to hook up the charge wire from the alternator to the battery.. I hooked it up and went back out for another pass and I picked up 2 MPH and the boat was much snappier!!
    That's not from the alternator.....it's because you took out the 128 quart beer cooler.

superdave013
    You know what happens to little boats that don't run don't ya? They sink, at least mine did.

lilrick
    That's not from the alternator.....it's because you took out the 128 quart beer cooler.
    oh yah....

VDRIVERACING
    I'm old school... get a mag. I charge the battery before I leave the house and it starts the boat all weekend no prob. If you're running mac daddy stereos, blenders, power tools, then you're gonna need on board power charging.
    Someone's probably gonna say they got 3 more HP--or whatever--with the MSD and all the wires and accessories that come with them--why not just buy Barbie sets?--but everythings a tradeoff.

pw_Tony
    I have a MSD 6al on my boat and can't get the damn alternator bracket to work so I keep pitching my belt=no alternator.
    I drive up to Piccacho from Martinez and I think that's about 15 miles. Two batterys charged by the way, about 600 CCA.
    I can get up there, I try to use one battery at a time so I have one to start off of, when I was about half way up and could tell my battery was a little too dead and started limiting the RPMs so I switched to to the other battery and I was fine. I made it up there, no playing around at all, just parked it, drank and ate. But to go home I had to borrow someone's booster pack so it could start:jawdrop:
    I made it to the boat launch but I decided to shut it off, so I had to swim it over to the boat trailer and hook her up.
    So in others on my BBF, no alternator+MSD=no playing and no trust in starting...
    Just my experiences
    P.S. if anyone knows who makes a good solid alternator bracket PM and let me know

well i ran it this weekend, i got about 3-4 runs a day... that box sure does suck some juice, either that or this battery i got at kragen is crap. After about the first 2 runs starting the boat got a bit more difficult. So ya, alt mount is next...

yep, saw this post coming. all the math experts ...oh my battery has 1000 amp hour so you can run a msd at 10 amps for a 100 hrs. that damn flame thower sucks juice and you have to feed it. Physics alone tells that there are no free lunchs. If you make that kind of spark you have to put the power in there first. Now go set up your alt and have a blast ALLDAY. P.S. you can count all the lead/acid type battery manuf. on one hand, so it just doesn't much matter where you bought it, the problem is with the msd's need for juice.

lucky
    man i love my mag- I have not had an alternaotor in two years

cfm
    Personally, I want more voltage (within reason) .
    Funny this topic is at the top - I just ran into this for my first time:
    http://www.performancedistributors.com/minivip.htm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast