Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what gives?

Cas
    ya i know if i rebuild the pump it will make it more efficant and harder to turn more power needed iam going to order a new distributor and check the tach i figured i would make 400 - 450 horse with set up i am running. is that out of the question?
    it depends on "where" the engine is making that power. If the 450hp is up at 5600 and 320 at 4500, it will never use the 450 with an A impeller.
    If you have the engine specs, all the cam specs, head specs and info for the intake manifold and carb, I can use the Desktop Dyno to help you out.

squirt
    Well just guessing but 400-450 would seem within reason just don't have 1st hand experience with closed chambers on a jet application but should be ok.
    Unfortunitly your not seeing close to that now. Check timing and make sure carb is opening, also what altitude are you using the boat at

oilfieldtrash
    Well just guessing but 400-450 would seem within reason just don't have 1st hand experience with closed chambers on a jet application but should be ok.
    Unfortunitly your not seeing close to that now. Check timing and make sure carb is opening, also what altitude are you using the boat at
    i will cheak the carb and bump up the timing. im @ about 6200 ft above sea level. i dont now much about heads may be i will have the open chambers built and see were that takes me what do you think

squirt
    i will cheak the carb and bump up the timing. im @ about 6200 ft above sea level. i dont now much about heads may be i will have the open chambers built and see were that takes me what do you think
    Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    6200ft 4500rpm might just be the key...........play with the jets on that carb I think your probably fat

oilfieldtrash
    Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    6200ft 4500rpm might just be the key...........play with the jets on that carb I think your probably fat
    do you think i should ditch the 850 or try to work with it? i also have a 700 maybe try messing with it.
    the 850 has 78 in the primarys and 83 in the seconders. i am not sure about the jets in the 700 i will have to pull the bowls and check.
    what do you think i might see in havasu?

Sleeper CP
    6200 ft Bingo, we have a winner. Hell you might need a 150 shot of Nos to get to 5,500 Rpm's. Check your jets, you might want to take 4 sizes out and see what happen. That engine will use approx. 730 cfm's at 5,500 rpm's, but you'll never get there at that altitude.
    Sleeper CP

oilfieldtrash
    6200 ft Bingo, we have a winner. Hell you might need a 150 shot of Nos to get to 5,500 Rpm's. Check your jets, you might want to take 4 sizes out and see what happen. That engine will use approx. 730 cfm's at 5,500 rpm's, but you'll never get there at that altitude.
    Sleeper CP
    thanks for the info. should i go back to 700 or stay with the 850

Sleeper CP
    Check out the thread " What's the differance between A,B and C impellers"
    I just brought it back up post's #4 & 23. See the Berkley HP chart an A impeller uses just 300 HP to turn 4,500 rpm's. At 6,200 ft that might be all you have. It's a shame that you didn't have the cam degreed in, but Comp cams are useally pretty true but you never know. I put a cam in a Smblk Ford 16 years ago and just lined up the dot's. The thing ran liked crap, no lower end at all and wouldn't pull rpm either. Pulled it apart degreed the cam in it was off by 8 degree's. It was a different engine when I got it back on the road. Your problem is probably altitude relate though.
    Sleeper CP

Sleeper CP
    If the 850 is working I wouldn't sweat the carb right now. But it does sound like the 700 might need some work on it. When you have a chance get it re-built and as someone else said make sure you have Wide Open throttle with your carbs. In any case you might want to have that 30 yr. old pump looked at and maybe see about an A/B cut or even a B cut.
    Sleeper CP

Moneypitt
    That could play a HUGE role in your quest for RPMs.....At that altitude 700 should be plenty of carb.......If you ever bring it out of the mountains be prepared to be quite lean if it runs up there, regardless of the carb..........MP

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast