Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: truck buyer backs out... opinions on his deposit?

centerhill condor
    deposit...what deposit? have we met?

79centurion
    If he is backing out because of his problems then keep the money. If there was something wrong with the truck then I would say give him the money back. I got screwd out of a deposit I made on a truck. I really wanted the truck and he wouldnt hold it without a deposit. I told him I would buy it as long as it was good. Had a mechanic look at it and found the front axle tube was cracked along with other things like the tires had plugs in the sidewalls(had the tire switched around so they were on the inside). I told him there was problems to see if he would lower the price he said no and wouldnt give me back the deposit.
    Dan

Magic34
    If you incurred an expense from working the deal for him, then deduct that expense. Cancel an ad, the fee to replace it would be fair. Other than that, give it back. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

H20 Toie
    When ever i have given someone a deposit it is becuase i am agreeing to buy the item. if i back out i would not expect to get the deposit back unless there was a problem with the product.
    He should not have given you a deposit if he was not ready to buy it.
    If you are giving the deposit back then why bother taking a deposit in the first place.

Life is too short, I agree. What would you do with the $50 or $100 dollars anyway? It's good karma to be nice anyway...
    Steve

bear down
    If you lost a sale because of it, then I would keep the deposit, otherwise, I would give it all back.
    that is what I would do. if you told one person it's been sold then keep the money. if no one else called or really has been calling about the truck then give it back.

Nord
    I agree. If you lost a sale because you held the truck. Then keep the money. If not give him the dinero.......

ratso
    I agree. If you lost a sale because you held the truck. Then keep the money. If not give him the dinero.......
    I want to put about $5000 of Western wear on layaway and put $500 toward it. In the next couple of weeks I'm gonna come in and demand my money back because my bitch wife says I can't buy it...http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif

Sherpa
    his plead for backing out was it doesn't have electric windows, which he fully
    knew about when he drove it...... lame... his "girlfreind" was pissed at him
    most likely because he spent money....
    and technically yes, I Might* have lost a sale due to this guy since I called
    3 people back, and replied to about 4 total emails telling them it was already
    sold.....
    it'll sell I'm sure............ but the whole purpose of the "deposit" was to hold
    for balance upon pickup.......
    the more I think about it, I want to inform him he's either choking up the
    balance and will own a pickup, or inform him his re-think just cost him 500
    bones....
    I'll be most likely sending him back 400......
    --he's a grown man, over 50, not a punk kid......... time to man up, and
    mind his own sack for stuff like this..
    --Sherpa
    now the next guy is fully gonna get a lecture of sorts...........ha.

2Driver
    I never take deposits for that reason. 1st person with the cash gets it and it creates a sense of urgency too. I'd give it back, who knows what kind of guy you may be dealing with.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast