Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF???? 140mph, but it can go 170mph?

HBjet
    Ok, I know everyone tends to stretch the truth a little when telling someone how fast your boat is, etc. But I was thumbing through the latest Hot Boat mag and in the back (where all the good stuff is) there is a Shovel Nose hydro with a 632ci motor, blown, running some Edlebrock carbs, and according to the owner, it makes 720hp at 7200rpm (remember, my little 496ci makes 732hp at 6300rpm with a tunnel ram on pump gas) He's running it 25% over drive (what does that mean anyways, one rotation of the motor is 1.25 rotations of the prop?) There is no tranny, and he claims to have taken the boat to something like 140-142mph and hasn't ran the boat at WOT yet, but if he does, it's capable of running 170mph.......
    Ok V-Drive guys, is this for real?
    I was thinking, Damn, I'll slap my 496 into a flatty and I would be in the 150 range no problem!
    HBjet
    [ August 26, 2003, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: HBjet ]

Mandelon
    Well, if you read it in a magazine...it must be true.

SK48
    Well in the 70's before 2 speed's etc. the hydros were still going 200 M.P.H. plus all the time. They were just not as quick as they are now.
    I was a jet boat driver in those days, you can't compare a jet to a v-drive. Jets have there place and v-drives have there place but it is not on the same page. And I drove two Liberty circle boats, and they were great race boats just like you pleasure boat.

Beautiful Noise
    Randy, You'd be Surprised at the amount of speed you'd pick up by putting your Motor into a Flattie it would set you back into your seat that's for sure
    Steve

DUCKY
    That boat would run approx 115-120 if it was turning those gears at 7200 with a 15pitch prop. If he is turning a 17 pitch, maybe 130-135. 170? No Friggin way, at least not withe those gears and motor.

HBjet
    Beautiful Noise:
    it would set you back into your seat that's for sure My boat already does that! I couldn't imagine what it would be like in a flat!
    As for this Shovel Nose Hydro, they say "Stay Away, you'll most likely loose to him of you race" or some shit.... and when I saw that boat, and saw he goes to Elsinore, I was think, I'll run him for sure!
    HBjet

uclahater
    HBjet:
    Beautiful Noise:
    it would set you back into your seat that's for sure My boat already does that! I couldn't imagine what it would be like in a flat!
    As for this Shovel Nose Hydro, they say "Stay Away, you'll most likely loose to him of you race" or some shit.... and when I saw that boat, and saw he goes to Elsinore, I was think, I'll run him for sure!
    HBjet I hope your ready to get your lunch handed to ya

Lookin for Liquid
    He is probably just an old jet boat guy exagerating the numbers.

DUCKY
    I am nearly positive that the dude is exagerating. If my eyes are not deceiving me, that's and inboard steering boat, and it has a 12 degree vdrive. With his prop (16.25" pitch) at 7200, the max it could run is 138, with no slip (impossible). But with a short rudder and 12 degree box (little or no tail lift = lots of drag), I'd say it's a 110 -115 mph boat on a good day. Unfortunately for HBJet, that's still plenty of v-drive to hand him his ass in a basket!

last time i was at elsinore I was talking with the lake cop and he said that guy has the record for the highest top speed on lake elsinore at 140 mph plus. yea ok officer...can i go now?

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast