Thread: 18 FT. Mandela/389 Pontiac

LOWRIVER
    Have a neighbor with a 1968 Mandela 18ft. ski boat. He is original owner. Engine is a 389Pontiac (that sound right?) with three two barrel carburetors. Boat in Orange Co.,Ca./needs restoration/ don't know type of drive (haven't seen it). Is there any interest in these boats? This was strickly a ski application. I don't know a thing about V-drives, just doing a favor for him to locate any potential customers.

Good boat, and the 389 Pontiac 3x2 bbl sounds right. Tin Indians were somewhat popular back in the early to mid 60s. The V-drive is most likely a top loader Casale also a good piece but finding gears are limited to the used market. Dependind on condition it can be worth 2K on up. Mandella owners are very loyal to them. Can you post a pic or two?

hottrodder
    Quick! someone restore that puppy before it's gone forever. Does it still have the center deck with forward and rear facing benches? By all means post a pic and maybe a phone or some way to contact your friend. Here's my '69 long deck.
    http://www.hottrodd.com/images/boats...a/rrrttrlr.jpg
    and here's my earlier '64 short deck that had the center deck removed. This had a 390 and a top loader.
    http://www.hottrodd.com/images/boats/64mandella/bnb.jpg
    I can't, at the moment, find pictures of my first long decker. Having owned 3 I guess I'm one of those 'loyal' owners.
    HRr

LOWRIVER
    I will attempt to get a picture in here next week. I remember the hull to have the center deck with black back to back seats. The paint job is a typical candy red metal flake job of the sixties. Thanks a lot for the info. gentlemen. Will pass this on to the owner and get a contact for you soon. Beautiful boats posted there. I've been a jet guy for years but a perfect example of speed for the dollar has to be a sanger at NJBA this year. They put a 9:1 comp. jet boat motor in it an it ran 97mph first time out. That's what I call bang for the buck! About six grand invested total in that boat.

LOWRIVER2
    Just an update, the neighbor sold the boat for $1,500 to a friend of his. You guys were right on spot as far as value. I heard the deal is not final and I will post if it comes up for sale again.
    Thanks,
    LOWRIVER2

marcnsand
    Hi, I came across this forum while trying to help my dad find
    a buyer for his 18ft 1962 Mandela ski boat.
    He is the original owner (bought it from Lou Brummet in Pasadena)
    and has to let it go.
    It has a 1964 389 pontiac engine with 2 4-barrel carters,
    Mickey Thompson manifolds, flat bottom, v-drive,
    in/out box, original white front/back seats. Hull in great shape
    but needs new gel coat on top deck. Blue metallic fleck with gold
    trim.
    Been garage stored and well maintained since purchase.
    Would like to see it go to someone who will appreciate it.
    Any advice as to where to find a customer? Please email me at
    marcnsand@comcast.net if you have questions or would like a picture.
    Thanks for any help!