Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My lower unit was cut at the exhaust ??

tucson_boat_guy
    I was told this was for a Tommy Pipe??
    Does anyone have any info on this??

vishus
    Do you have any pictures? Are you referring to a "Toomey" pipe? They make pipes for quads/bikes, used to be the BEST for your BANSHEE. A few have tried tuned pipes on 2-stroke outboards, they don't work well with the current crop of motors... The old racing motors often had them, and the kneel-down hydros run them on their small OBs. Though they wouldn't hook up to your mid, they would be bolted directly to the block/cylinder (like on a dirt bike motor). OBs users tuners in the mid...
    STILL WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE PICTURES
    MAYBE you have a midsection that has been drilled/cut to relieve the exhaust...

Towndrunk
    Do you have any pictures? Are you referring to a "Toomey" pipe? They make pipes for quads/bikes, used to be the BEST for your BANSHEE. A few have tried tuned pipes on 2-stroke outboards, they don't work well with the current crop of motors... The old racing motors often had them, and the kneel-down hydros run them on their small OBs. Though they wouldn't hook up to your mid, they would be bolted directly to the block/cylinder (like on a dirt bike motor). OBs users tuners in the mid...
    STILL WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE PICTURES
    MAYBE you have a midsection that has been drilled/cut to relieve the exhaust...
    So Sid, how fast have you had my Allison? I have your Riot all sanded and ready for gel but the 100 plus weather screwed me up and now I have to have back surgery. Hopefully I'll get it done this winter between duck hunting trips.

vishus
    Normally mid 80s, I did hit 92 at Parker on GPS (with a 24 drag), I am still learning, I can only keep my foot in it for a few seconds then I have to step out of it (rocking and rollin)... How fast did you get it up to with the 2.5Carb?
    Sorry to hear about your back surgery, good luck, I hope they fix you up good!!
    later man,
    sid

tucson_boat_guy
    I will get some pics of it tonight when I get home, It is cut for the exhaust my tech said it was the thing to do back in the day when this boat was "newer" .
    None of my exhuast goes out the prop it all goes out through the cuts.
    It was not done nice and never painted but you can see where something was glued to the lower unit.
    When I replace my water pump I will take a look inside also to see what else wsa done.
    talk soon

Forkin' Crazy
    Normally mid 80s, I did hit 92 at Parker on GPS (with a 24 drag), I am still learning, I can only keep my foot in it for a few seconds then I have to step out of it (rocking and rollin)...
    You have to DRIVE IT!!! You got all the slack out of the steering? That, to me, is one of the funnest things about the Allisons, driving them!!! Sorry for the highjack!

timebomb1
    I drilled out a midsection of a 150 to get the same results. It sounds like a Bob's Machine exhaust housing was glued on. Check out his site and click on "Engine Exhaust: outboard exhaust housing" http://www.bobsmachine.com/ Maybe this will shed some light.
    My midsection is drilled below the cavitation plate, just where the lower disconnects from the midsection. The mods are to increase your holeshot. Some exhaust still goes thru the prop, just not a lot.
    If you need another midsection email me and I'll send ya some pictures. It is just sitting around on an engine stand.
    If you dont use an over the hub prop then fab up some covers and epoxy them on.
    If they are on the backside of the housing, the epoxy will be fine, the backside is a lowpressure area.
    What part of Tuscon? Gary

Towndrunk
    Normally mid 80s, I did hit 92 at Parker on GPS (with a 24 drag), I am still learning, I can only keep my foot in it for a few seconds then I have to step out of it (rocking and rollin)... How fast did you get it up to with the 2.5Carb?
    Sorry to hear about your back surgery, good luck, I hope they fix you up good!!
    later man,
    sid
    Thanks Sid. I don't think I'll be getting the surgery. Going to phys therapy this coming week for 12 visits courtesy of the VA center. Will be doing it at a sports rehab in Anthem. I was getting 98-104 depending. It was faster on the SS that I sold Forkin. It pushed it to 107 and change. Who in the area can fix my stainless prop for my yamaha 40hp?

vishus
    PROPS PLUS (off of the 101 and McDowell). All the local boat shops and bassboat guys swear by them, I have never heard a bad report...
    We were in Sedona Today, as I passed by the "BAD ASS BBQ" joint I could have picked up your prop...
    Good Luck with the therapy, I hope it works. I would NOT want anyone cutting on my back, one screw up and you could be stuck in a wheelchair for life...
    sid
    p.s. Forkin, it has hydraulic steering, pretty tight... I just need to practice...

Towndrunk
    Thanks, I'll get it over there when I get a little better. Went to a fish fry last night and now I'm back to barely walking again! Should have stopped by.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast