Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1050 Dom's Gas to Alky Question

Liberator TJ1984
    What needs to be done to swap over to Alky ?? are there any Kits for this or do carbs need to be sent off and re-worked ? I got 2 - 1050's I would like to swap to Alky and try ....Is there a chart / reference to compare the gas/alky jet sizes to ...??
    and lastly would the gain if any( by going to alky ) be worth the troubles ?
    I can use all my lines and pumps etc... I currently have without doing anything to the boat...I was going to put on a hat but that meant too many mods to the boat to make happen ..ie> remove back seat ,mount return tank,lines,pump ,yaddy yadda...:idea:

Sleeper CP
    and lastly would the gain if any( by going to alky ) be worth the troubles ?
    :
    How much compression are you running? If you are not over 14:1 , not sure if the "juice would be worth the squeeze" if you know what I mean
    Sleeper CP

steelcomp
    Carbs will have to be highly modified. It takes roughly twice as much alcohol as it does gas, and then internals of the carbs have to be modified as well as the jetting. Benefits from alcohol are most with higher compression.

Liberator TJ1984
    Static compression is 8:75 / 1 so say at 8# boost I need to be on race or Av Gas < which I mainly run .
    I have to carry jugs of fuel anyways ,so if there was a significant gain to be had by swapping over thats what I'm looking at ?
    Just figured if I pulley the heck out of it and leave it that way ( have put 22# on it on C-16 @ races) Alky would be the best bang for the buck , and still be safe at the higher boost level.
    ps...any and all comments are greatly appreciated
    Steelcomp , summit has a conversion kit for the dominators @ $350 ea carb.
    just figured there is more to it than just swapping metering plates and bowls.:idea: ???

Fiat48
    We just did this last week and it is a little early for exact results but here is what we have:
    Carbs (750's 4779's) were given to Bob at Custom Carburetion here in Reno. He converted them to alcohol for us. Cost was about $750 to do both carbs. He did a very nice job as usual.
    We already had a Clay Smith mechanical pump that was alcohol compatable and a well plumbed fuel system.
    The engine is a 460 inch BBC with roller cam, Grumpy Jenkins model Dart heads, old style Edelbrock tunnel ram nicely ported, Sprint mag ignition. We think the compression ratio is about 13 to 1 but not sure.
    Boat is a Cole Flat tr-2. The boat ran a best of 105 mph by gps here at our high altitude. The best run on gas (105 mph) was at 6200 ft corrected. That is a good air day for us.
    We installed the carbs and put alcohol in the tank. No other changes. We installed a pyrometer in cylinder #6.....adjusted the idle and cruised the boat around to warm the thing up.
    The first run we made was 105 on the GPS...but we were dead fat (1032 degrees on the pyro) and our air was a horrible 7500 ft corrected.
    We leaned the motor 2 jet sizes....went back out in the same lousy air and ran 108 mph. Pyro reading was now 1240 degrees which was close enough.
    The boat was very part throttle driveable and no issues of hesitation or part throttle blubbering.
    We feel on a better air air day here we can get a couple more mph out of it. Et wise the driver said he felt the boat was quicker but we have no way of measuring actual gains there.

Great move Bob. Please keep us updated on your research............steve

GofastRacer
    Heck I'd a just did the simple thing and.... Well never mind better keep my mouth shut don't want to start no $hit!..

Fiat48
    Heck I'd a just did the simple thing and.... Well never mind better keep my mouth shut don't want to start no $hit!..
    Yeah, well it was something the guy wanted to do and we were both curious of how the gas vs alcohol deal would go. Now he doesn't have to buy gas anymore as his other boat is a blown alcohol INJECTED sanger. You'll see that boat in Phoenix this fall.

GofastRacer
    Yeah, well it was something the guy wanted to do and we were both curious of how the gas vs alcohol deal would go. Now he doesn't have to buy gas anymore as his other boat is a blown alcohol INJECTED sanger. You'll see that boat in Phoenix this fall.
    I'll be looking forward to that!..

Sleeper CP
    Just figured if I pulley the heck out of it and leave it that way ( have put 22# on it on C-16 @ races) Alky would be the best bang for the buck , and still be safe at the higher boost level..:idea: ???
    I didn't know it was blown. If you can get it dialed in the Alky would be bitchen at the higher boost levels. The Alky will act as an innercooler for the higher temps of the boost. But as stated before and I'm sure you already know you will use 10 gallons of alky for every 5 gallons of gas that you would have used. That's the big down side.
    Sleeper CP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast