Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: So I get a ticket for parking in a handicapped.

dmontzsta
    i bet that letter falls on deaf ears
    I hope not.
    If so I will let them issue a warranty for my arrest and not be taken alive.
    lol
    I truely feel this is wrong. I never violate the law, I would not park there if I felt it was against the law. This is my business and we never have handicapped people visit, if so, I would be sure to clear a front row spot.

Lavey29
    You are right, there must be a sign and paint on the ground for the parking spot to be a legal handicap zone,,,maybe you can get the officer to make a return trip out and research this area and if it goes in your favor, you can probably get him to void the ticket through his station...This info pertains to ordinances in LA county,,,not sure about other areas...

Squirtin Thunder
    I hope not.
    If so I will let them issue a warranty for my arrest and not be taken alive.
    lol
    I truely feel this is wrong. I never violate the law, I would not park there if I felt it was against the law. This is my business and we never have handicapped people visit, if so, I would be sure to clear a front row spot.
    Now Don is that a lifetime warranty or just a 90 day deal ???
    Don you have to have handicapped parking its the Law. But some one like Vic would not conplain, now there are many that would even try and sue you for some unreal thing that was incured by you not having front row handicapped parking.

SummitKarl
    The problem is it is right in front of my business door. We took the sign down a long time ago, it is only painted on the ground. It is not going to be a handicapped spot, we just havent taken the paint off the spot.
    Do I have a chance of winning this?
    did you ok this change with your public works dept first and provide the same amount of handicap parking in it's place? normally you have to go through your city to make this change, it's not something you can do on your own
    otherwise the officer was just doing his duty, and I am sure he can get the proof he needs that it IS a handicap spot, unless a change was already submitted to the city in the form of a Tenant improvement.

my21advantage
    The problem is it is right in front of my business door. We took the sign down a long time ago, it is only painted on the ground. It is not going to be a handicapped spot, we just havent taken the paint off the spot.
    Do I have a chance of winning this?
    I would fight it....it's not a moving violation so there no chance of it going on your record, it's just like getting a $20 parking ticket. But, I'm guessing that this one is in the neighborhood of $330..... :idea:

dmontzsta
    did you ok this change with your public works dept first and provide the same amount of handicap parking in it's place? normally you have to go through your city to make this change, it's not something you can do on your own
    otherwise the officer was just doing his duty, and I am sure he can get the proof he needs that it IS a handicap spot, unless a change was already submitted to the city in the form of a Tenant improvement.
    I dont own the actual building. The owner of the building told us since there is a lack of parking, he was having the paint sandblasted off the ground and he already pulled the sign out.

HM
    You can beat it. The spot needs to be marked in 3 ways: On the ground, on the curb, and a sign. The law requires the handicapped spot to be marked this way. If one is missing, then the spot is not correctly marked. My brother has the same issue at his company in Tustin. They have beat every ticket - and they have gotten quite a few.

dmontzsta
    You can beat it. The spot needs to be marked in 3 ways: On the ground, on the curb, and a sign. The law requires the handicapped spot to be marked this way. If one is missing, then the spot is not correctly marked. My brother has the same issue at his company in Tustin. They have beat every ticket - and they have gotten quite a few.
    Nice! Makes me feel even better.

BadKachina
    It sounds pretty cut and dry that you have to have two markings for the ticket to be valid. I've heard the same thing in Az.. As far as changing the actual parking place to a regular spot I think that may be a code violation. You bringing it to their attention may not be the best thing for you, it may be better to play the role that since both pieces were not visible you knew you could park in that space legally. I would not admit to actually taking the sign down, that may be another violation in it's self. I'm sure when the building was built it was in the building code to have so many handicapped spaces per regular spaces, and you making changes to that code could be a whole new fine and violation.

Havasu Cig
    Like others have mentioned it needs to be marked with both a sign and the markings on the ground to be legal in Ca. Kind of like a fire lane needs to be not only marked with red paint but it must also say "No Parking Firelane" on it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast