Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: winterize my jet boat?

bilgewiper
    I personally have never winterised a boat in SAC... then again I use it year round and drain the motor after every trip....
    I guess you didn't live in Sacamento or own a boat in the winter of '91. I didn't winterize either. I lost a engine along with almost every other boater in the Sacramento valley. Mother nature will throw a surpise everyonce in a while. But, since you drain after every trip you should be ok.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Already been to -6 this winter in Kansas, and my motor is 27 years old in it, here is how dad & I have always done it:
    Buy 3 gal of (these days) RV type Propolene Glycol anti-freeze, Wall mart carries pallets of the stuff, pink.
    Open the block drains, clean out if needed to let water drain. Close them
    I have log manifolds (the last year tho, they are worn out), pull the feed hose from the pump to the manifold, connect a 2' long hose there, pour in a gallon, excess runs into the block. Do the other side same.
    Put the supply hoses back on the manifolds, remove an outlet hose from the t-stat cover (I have a Chevy). hook up the 2' hose to the t-stat outlet, pour remaining anti-freeze into the block till it runs out the drive.
    The block is now about half full, as full as it ever is with water on the trailer, and freeze-proof to -50
    I rebuilt the 454 last winter to properly begin an upgrade program (cam & manifold, headers this year, head porting next (budgets)), found no evidence of any need to fog the cylinders to prevent rusting in the cylinders, 27 years of never being fogged, stored indoors about 5 or 6 years, outdoor under canvas the rest of the time. I will not fog, as I do not see the need, I will not tell you there is no need so do as per your own discression, but I have not seen the value.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123