Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which oil???

WannabeRacing
    Yeah, definitely there.
    If you want to run another oil, or even the VR1, please get a little closer to the weight that is recommended for that engine. They put clearances at a certain spot, and recommend certain weights for a reason.

Sleeper CP
    Did you see the oil pressure # 75 psi a little high. He is probably running the 50 wt for the extra viscosity(sp) cushion. But victorfb is right a 10-40 or 20-50 would probably be better choice of oil.
    Sleeper CP

Itsahobby
    I always thought the mixed weight oil was for running an engine cold and if you warm it up a single weight would be fine. And, with the single weight you get better lubrication when warm. The lower weight drops out when warm.
    Is this wrong?
    I run VR-1 40
    Jerry

Sleeper CP
    Itsahobby,
    Even on a 100 degree day 40wt or 50wt is a heavy oil. You would be surprised as to how long it takes to pump oil up to the rocker arms. The lighter wt oil moves through the system very fast and will reach the top end of the engine much faster than a 40wt. And once the oil gets hot it gets thicker(more viscosity) for the cushion.
    Keep in mind the Nascar guys are running 0-10, 5-10(?) or 5-20's. Now they have dry-sump pans but 500 hard miles on a 10wt or 20wt oil. Do you think a petroleum oil could handle that?:idea: Not sure what you mean by better lubrication, probably you mean more cushion and I think that would be the coventional wisdom?
    Sleeper CP

you guys should be aware that valvoline VR1 is not what it was just a couple of years ago. The old VR1 is now being sold as Valvoline Conventional Racing and the price is not all that pretty. Great oil, put not worth that price.

GofastRacer
    Just a little FYI, the "good" ole Kendall green stuff is available from Brad Penn if anyone is is interested!..

Warp Speed
    Itsahobby,
    Even on a 100 degree day 40wt or 50wt is a heavy oil. You would be surprised as to how long it takes to pump oil up to the rocker arms. The lighter wt oil moves through the system very fast and will reach the top end of the engine much faster than a 40wt. And once the oil gets hot it gets thicker(more viscosity) for the cushion.
    Keep in mind the Nascar guys are running 0-10, 5-10(?) or 5-20's. Now they have dry-sump pans but 500 hard miles on a 10wt or 20wt oil. Do you think a petroleum oil could handle that?:idea: Not sure what you mean by better lubrication, probably you mean more cushion and I think that would be the coventional wisdom?
    Sleeper CP
    Well put!
    A good synthetic oil is the only way to go, especialy in an abusive enviroment like boats. With the constant loading and higher (often non-cooled / controled) oil temps, I think it is a must.
    We must keep in mind, even though they are superoir, synthetics where subject to the same regulations as all oils, thus no longer carrying the good (vital) additives they once did.
    Hence the "Race" oil. The ones that specify "off road only" still have these, but at an additional cost. You can pay extra for the "race" oil, or use shelf type oil with EOS. Either way, use a good synthetic !!
    For jbone's 502, that Mobil1 15-50 with some EOS would be tough to beat.
    Warp Speed

AzMandella
    Just a little FYI, the "good" ole Kendall green stuff is available from Brad Penn if anyone is is interested!..
    You beat me to it Art.I will not use anything else.The original Kendall GT racing oil is the best in my book.We once ran a smallblock in our stock car up to 500+ degrees.Put detination holes in every piston.When we tore it down every bearing was perfect and the cam and cylinder walls looked fine.

VDRIVERACING
    you guys should be aware that valvoline VR1 is not what it was just a couple of years ago. The old VR1 is now being sold as Valvoline Conventional Racing and the price is not all that pretty. Great oil, put not worth that price.
    I contacted Valvoline about VR1. Their lab told me it still carries the same amount of zinc, same performance. Your guy may lap me at the beach, but let's see who finishes with the motor running!

GofastRacer
    You beat me to it Art.I will not use anything else.The original Kendall GT racing oil is the best in my book.We once ran a smallblock in our stock car up to 500+ degrees.Put detination holes in every piston.When we tore it down every bearing was perfect and the cam and cylinder walls looked fine.
    When Kendall changed I went to Castrol and been good all along, but now that it's available again I'm going back to it!..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast