Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deep Creek Summer Send Off??

shirkey4750
    Speaking of vacations, anybody going to br in Myrtle Beach next week?

DansBlown73Nordic
    No but were headed to Onieda Lake for the week!!!!

DelawareDave
    Speaking of vacations, anybody going to br in Myrtle Beach next week?
    Heading to Austin, Texas Aug 6.

JOHNNYBEGOOD
    Deep Creek Lake is a very nice lake with hotels and resturants all over the lake. Every hotel has it's own docks. The lake itself is about half the size of Lake Anna. There are bars on the lake.
    This is a very fun lake to go to with lots of things to do. But I do not think it is a very jet boat friendly lake. Ths lake between the bridges is very rough. The DNR do not like loud boats. There are no sand bars or any soft banks to beach your boat. The lake is completey developed with houses, hotels, bars, stores, and just about anything else that you want.
    I have been going to Deep Creek lake for about 25 years. I do not think I would take my jet boat up there. It is a very busy lake. So busy in fact that they limit jet ski traffic by not allowing them on the water between the hours of 11am and 4pm on weekends. It is a fun lake to take your family or to go and party.
    I think that BobS has a place at Deep Creek, he would know.
    I have never been to Cheat Lake, but this might be an option. It is just west of Deep Creek Lake in West Virginia on I68.
    One more thing about Deep Creek Lake. The water never ever warms up.

BobS
    What Johnnybegood sez. It is a deep water lake - no sandbars. Spring fed - clean - and yes, um... refreshing to jump in. Twelve miles long, about 3900 acres if I remember. Elevation is around 2600 feet so you will probably run fat. The State Park is at the halfway point. Nice facilities and has a camp ground. The water can be really rough in that area. Oh, and you have to park it at a dock, no beaching - not that there are any suitable public places to beach. Mostly a Ski Nautique/runabout/pontoon boat country get away kind of place. Not a lot of infrastructure compared to the number of vacation houses up there. There are hotels, but they are somewhat scattered around. After Labor Day, the crowds die down.
    You will want to run baffles if you go. My first time on the lake I got stopped for noise. I showed him my baffles, after all, they were right there in my tool kit. I think the constable was more interested in the boat anyway as he let me go.
    I've never been to Cheat Lake either. This is another deep water deal. Any of the lakes up there are dammed mountain streams, so they have steep shorelines. I'm not sure about hotels there.

JOHNNYBEGOOD
    I got to talking about this to some friends that have gone to Deep Creek Lake for several years. While we all agree that it is a very fun lake to go to, it just is not a good jet boat lake.
    However, I think that BobS would agree that it would be pretty cool to see about 25 jet boats pull up to the Honi Honi Bar about 1:00 on Saturday afternoon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123