I have a 85 VRO 175 Crossflow on my Proline W/A.
The first time i started it the thermostats were both clogged so i removed them. I have replacements on the way. Temp problem fixed.
Next problem was it just idled like **** and had no power. I then pulled the carbs and did a through cleaning.
Stared it again ran alot better idled fair-good with a lioght sneeze every 10 sec or so. The bowls stayed full of fuel.
i took the boat out and got it on plane it ran like a raped ape for 10 sec or so then started dieing... I checked the primer bulb and it was still hard.
i took the boat out again and cleaned the carbs again.
I dipped the boat in the water but left it on the trailer so i could do some load testing. It would only make it to 3400 rpms or so 15-20 sec before it fell on its face and shut off. I checked the primer bulb and it took 4-7 pumps before the bowls were full again.
So I'm now thinking the vro/ fuel pump is bad but its intermittent because this doesn't happen every time.
Sometimes when it starts dieing on plane, 25 mph 4k rpm, I can push in the key choke and the motor will bring itself back to life.
All signs show fuel starvation.
Another thing to note Im using a brand new run of the mill 6 gal portable fuel tank and new 5/8" omc fuel line could this be the issue? Maybe the fuel port on the tank is too small and is a choke point.