Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat flipping

I have a 75 Tahiti that I am restoring.All the wood (stringers,floor ,underfloor frames ,and transome )are rotten.
    The boat has shorty engine stringers,and a small frametype stringer system under the floor,looks like for floor support mostly.Hull is relativly light layup.
    My question is can I flip the boat ,using either the two cherry picker method or the boattisserie method,without any of the stringers in it(clean stripped hull).I was thinking of build ing the boattisserie and leaving the hull mounted to it ,so that I could rotate it back and forth from top to bottom.
    Will the bare hull be structurally strong enough.
    Has any one atempted this?Thank's for any input.Hal

Nicked prop
    The hull will be strong enough to flip wirh everything removed. However, you definitely want to have all the interior structure in place before you do any bottom blueprinting.

retromek
    Why would you want to flip it back and forth?
    If you take out all the wood ..stringers , flooring etc.. and it iis right side up,
    Look underneath the bow all the way to the transom before and after the wood removal. Notice how the hull will look like a pregnant cat after the wood is removed. some Hulls are worse than others. That'll answer your own question if you want to attempt it or not.
    When I did mine I re-set the bottom flat then re-glassed the stringers, floor in. Then flipped the boat to finish the bottom after it was "Set".
    I'm Not sure if this was right but it looks pretty good.
    My picts are in the gallery
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...t=7&thecat=998

BrendellaJet
    definitely need to find a way to keep the boat in its current position/shape. If you take all those pieces out at the same time it could change shape on you, thus when you get it back together you permanently change the shape and very possibly the handling characteristics...

tahitijet
    definitely need to find a way to keep the boat in its current position/shape. If you take all those pieces out at the same time it could change shape on you, thus when you get it back together you permanently change the shape and very possibly the handling characteristics...
    I agree when i had my tahiti cut that far apart i was scared to death to move it. Before removing anything i leveled the boat marked the centerline and supported it as much possible cut everything out replaced the transom, converted to full length stringers etc. Then flipped it over and set back the pump and blueprinted the bottom.
    In my opinon finish the inside project before moving of flipping it

Yea I guess I do agree with You Guy's,I would hate for it to turn into a potato chip.
    Hy hull is kinda light lay up.I would like to add full length stringers,but with the light hull I think it really needs the solid floor to walk on and added structural support.

tahitijet
    on mine i ran the stringers full lenght then put a piecace next to them on the floor and attached to the stringers. Then i put the subfloor on that. So i have full lenght stringers and a floor I used the stringers to mount the seats so you don't see them

I would have to agree with Tahitijet. I think you'd get a lot more support by doing full length stringers then the floor, or ever stringers and no floor, rather than just a floor.

tahitijet
    it's a bad pic but you can see where the floor starts. It's about the stock height but the stringer runs full length. It actually worked out really nice cause it gave me a good solid place to mount the seats and it's all hidden witht he interior in.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...010004-med.JPG
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...120087-med.JPG

Bellow is a pic of the frames that were under the floor,along with some flotation.
    The shorty stringers stop just behind the frames and are still covered with glass.there is another piece of wood that runs beside the engine stringers,to the transome,but is what amounts to a cut down 2x4.
    Do You think I can just do away with the under floor frames,run full length stringers and put a floor in the middle and outboard sides of the stringers?
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ti_jet_024.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast