Thread: Needle and Seat Question

tittyman
    Maybe this is just coincidence but on two different trips I had to take my boat down about 3-5 miles of gravel washboard roads. On both trips when I put the boat in the water the needle and seat in one carb would not seal. I know both carbs had no fuel in the bowls at the time I went down these roads.. is it possible that with no fuel in the bowls, going down washboard gravel roads that the floats are banging up and down and could damage the needle and seat because they were empty or just coincidence. This happened 2 weeks in a row on two different roads..as always thanks for the good advise guys..

Sleeper CP
    Are they Viton tips or steel?
    Sleeper CP

tittyman
    They are the ones that come with the rebuild kits..I think Vitron (Black Tip). I had the same problem with the other one and I replaced it with Barry Grants..
    I know my original question sounds kind of lame, but I think you might be on to something with the tips..again it happened 2 times and the bowls were always empty..thanks..

Sleeper CP
    Tittyman,
    That is very strange. You see where I was going with the tips, but sounds like you have that covered. Maybe when you get to the end of the rough road you can wack(tap) your carb with a ballpeen hammer or small wrench? Don't know what else to do. Maybe some one can give you some good advice. :idea: Good luck.
    Sleeper CP

502 JET
    How much fuel pressure are you running?
    Is the o-ring intact on the outside of the needle and seat?
    Cut one of the bad needle and seats apart and inspect it.
    Try running your fuel pump and filling the carbs before you drive down the rough road, see if it helps.