Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to launch at Big River??

code8
    Hello all,
    The family is going to Big River for the first time in June 8-10. Where is a good launch ramp/parking in Big River? Also, any good places to hang out and see with the kids. This year were exploring new areas on the river. I always read Big River was more of the family atmosphere. Were trying to get away from the party scene and just relax and enjoy the day.
    Any info or tips on Big River would be great. I have an 05 Ultra 21' stealth jet boat. Nothing fancy. It hauls the kids and gear like an rv on water.
    Thanks again,
    Anthony

MudPumper
    Just south of the Big River RV Park and right next to the Big River INN is a decent launch ramp with parking. There is a restaurant right there called The Doc that has good food.
    Sometimes the water does not rise until 11am or so and there are some real shallow spots so be careful. Up river by the dam is the cove and down river just above Lost Lake is shell beach (although I just learned it's not the real shell beach???).
    Good luck

cyclone
    big river is a mythical place. it does not exist. i heard if you head south, past blythe, you'll find big river right before mexico. i dunno, that's just what i heard.

code8
    Thanks Mudpmuper. I'll try that area to launch. Cyclone if I follow your advise, I'd be back at my house in Chula Vista I'm trying to get away for the weekend.

OverKill
    Just south of the Big River RV Park and right next to the Big River INN is a decent launch ramp with parking. There is a restaurant right there called The Doc that has good food.
    Sometimes the water does not rise until 11am or so and there are some real shallow spots so be careful. Up river by the dam is the cove and down river just above Lost Lake is shell beach (although I just learned it's not the real shell beach???).
    Good luck
    Excelent advice. If you do eat at the Doc, They have an all you can eat fish fry on Friday's if you like fish it is the best. Also if your a beer drinker here is a little secret, you can tie your boat off at the launch ramp and buy beer to go right at the Doc. You will see a window just outside the resteraunt towards the river.
    Shell beach is just 20 minutes down river from where you launched on the right side. If you go about 5 minutes further you will come to Lost Lake. Another good place to park and hang out. If you go into the channel there go all the way to the end and you will come to a store just up the shore. Another good place to restock the cooler and they have a grill for a bite to eat.
    After all that fun stuff you can go just 2 minutes further to an R&R Island. As you pull out of Lost Lake Channel make a right, the river will make a pretty sharp bend left. You will see land on your left, as soon as you see an opening on your left pull in and you will see another sandy beach on the left. Thats just another place to hang out and let the kids loose. Well good luck and let us know how your trip was.
    OverKill

jetovatorjeff
    take em to the swing and let em fly intop the river on the way down to shell beach.. i agree with cyclone, i heard big river closed down.

Up river by the dam is the cove and down river just above Lost Lake is shell beach (although I just learned it's not the real shell beach???).
    Good luck
    That's funny. Lost Lake peeps don't call that shell beach. That's just "the upper sand bar". Shell beach to us is down river from Lost Lake. It's actually filled with shells. So much so that it kills you feet to walk on it

cyclone
    Thanks Mudpmuper. I'll try that area to launch. Cyclone if I follow your advise, I'd be back at my house in Chula Vista I'm trying to get away for the weekend.
    Sorry dude. it's been the running joke for a few years now because the place is getting crowded.
    chula vista? you take the 8 toward yuma to go to the river? that's a great drive. very scenic. much better than the boring drive on i-10 from where i live.

cyclone
    That's funny. Lost Lake peeps don't call that shell beach. That's just "the upper sand bar". Shell beach to us is down river from Lost Lake. It's actually filled with shells. So much so that it kills you feet to walk on it
    i heard that last weekend. all these years the peeps at big river have been calling the upper beach shell beach and its really not shell beach. lol oh well.

MudPumper
    i heard that last weekend. all these years the peeps at big river have been calling the upper beach shell beach and its really not shell beach. lol oh well.
    It's got a lot of shells though????? So the real shell beach is the one near those Tiki Huts that somebody put up????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast