Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultra to launch 32

ULTRA28
    Not here to bash Ultra I've owned a few of John's boats, this 32 looks awesome.... I bought one of the first 27 Shadows and all I have to say is I wish they had made a prototype first and got the porpoising figured out before they released it to the general public..Never again will I buy the first ones out of the plug...
    What 27 did you have? I don't ever recall any of the 27 Shadows having a porpoise problem. I have made some changes to the bottom over the years for better top speed.

Havasu 928
    Sounds like a winner JW; especially cuz all these folks are bashing. That is a tell tale sign of jealousy. Funny how that happens when you make something off the hook. Sorry about the interuption, haters post up again.
    Not jealous at all John builds a awesome boat, just sharing my experience on buying a new untested boat...if I was in the market for a 32 iam sure I would consider a Ultra.

Havasu 928
    What 27 did you have? I don't ever recall any of the 27 Shadows having a porpoise problem. I have made some changes to the bottom over the years for better top speed.
    I believe I had #4 or #5 ?? smooth water over 65mph It would start to bounce up and down by lowering the tabs it would smooth out but off course the speed would fall, If the water was a little choppy it never seemed to effect the ride and you could run it up to it's top speed of 80mph. John not trying to bash you at all, you build a fine product was giving the readers my opinion on buying un tested 100,000.00+ boats.

ULTRA28
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...2_bottom_4.jpg
    QUESTION FOR YOU...... NOT BASHING JUST ASKING. when you build something like this from a drawing on a piece of paper, and not splash or licensing a proven bottom. HOW do you know its going to perform as expected, and not hop all over the water ( like rockys ) ? Are you guys going to run plugs like Nordic is doing? Looks great so far.
    I don't know about Rocky's boat, but I have heard of a few cats that have or had problems porpoising. Some from the West some from the East.
    We have enough people helping with the design of the 32 that I am confident we will not be having any issues with it. We took into consideration the problems of the other boats out there, along with looking at what works and why it works. Without getting into exactly what we did to make this bottom work I can say that I am not loosing any sleep at night wondering if it will or will not work, and NO, we did not splash or take blueprints off of another compnies boat. Either way, I will be building the first one as a test boat to run before we start on the second boat just to be sure.
    Running a plug isn't very feasable, because of the weight of the plug and the fact that it would be ruined after all the testing. We don't even so much as let sunlight hit our plug until the molds have been made off of it. It will crack up and become worthless. You have to make an actual boat out of a mold to do any testing. Some companies will start with another bottom, whether it is one of there own or one of there competitors and just make some minor changes to it. You can run that, but not a new tool from scratch.

ULTRA28
    I believe I had #4 or #5 ?? smooth water over 65mph It would start to bounce up and down by lowering the tabs it would smooth out but off course the speed would fall, If the water was a little choppy it never seemed to effect the ride and you could run it up to it's top speed of 80mph. John not trying to bash you at all, you build a fine product was giving the readers my opinion on buying un tested 100,000.00+ boats.
    I didn't take it as a bash. I just don't remember any of my boats having a problem or needing tabs. We put tabs on for faster plane time, but not for porpoise. What color and graphics was it? and what engine package?

ULTRA28
    Latest picture of the bottom. A lot more bondo and glass to go, but it should be ready for primer next week.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/32-3.jpg

Havasu 928
    I didn't take it as a bash. I just don't remember any of my boats having a problem or needing tabs. We put tabs on for faster plane time, but not for porpoise. What color and graphics was it? and what engine package?
    All white with purple tribals, engine package was a HP500 and ITS drive beautiful boat ran hard and turned allot of heads!!! good luck on the 32 once you get a few on the water I may be interested in another.

ULTRA28
    All white with purple tribals, engine package was a HP500 and ITS drive beautiful boat ran hard and turned allot of heads!!! good luck on the 32 once you get a few on the water I may be interested in another.
    I remember the boat. It was the one we used for a Hot Boat test and our ad for a couple of years. I don't remember it porpoising, but if you say it did. I know we don't normally run a standoff or ITS on the 27, that could have something to do with it.

Havasu 928
    I remember the boat. It was the one we used for a Hot Boat test and our ad for a couple of years. I don't remember it porpoising, but if you say it did. I know we don't normally run a standoff or ITS on the 27, that could have something to do with it.
    Never the less, John good luck with the 32 I'am sure I'll see it soon in Havasu wouldn't mind going on a test ride maybe ready for another one soon.

Bense468
    Wow this is going to be a bad ass boat. Way out of my league but rad none the less.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast