Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ford F450.. My review

Pussywhippled
    So, one arrived at my house on Friday afternoon to go drive for a little bit. = BALLER

spectras only
    And yes, he is basically pulling a house. Whether it be his new Formula or a 40' WW, they are equivalent to a house.
    Beer , I was just joking that Magic is pulling a house , cause I know he has a
    Formula cruiser . He should have tried a 650 instead of the 450 . I towed my boat [ it's only 8350 lbs on the trailer ] with an F 350 and wasn't impressed with its acceleration either .The F 350 would pull just as good as a 3500 Chebby IMHO . Friend is getting the Freightliner for his 47' boat . If money is no object that's what I'd get for a large boat !
    I'm towing my yacht with this little Chebby . They're more powerful than the Ford Escape heh .
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/I...inks%20BIG.jpg

HighRoller
    Was this a "stock" 450? Seems to me for 58K you could get an aftermarket conversion setup with the rear swingarm suspension and full air ride with auto leveling. In fact, the F550 with that setup rides like a dream.
    As far as the power, 4:88 is too much gear for that engine and a 5spd auto, IMO. It probably would pull great from a dead stop under a load, but empty it's just doing nothing but searching for the next gear without much of a load to produce boost. Without towing it's hard to compare.
    I'm sure the Freightshaker will work fine, but a true baller looking for a smooth ride would have gotten an Optima toterhome on a Volvo VN chassis with a 565 Cummins and a Freedom Auto There is no truck and very few cars on the road that ride as good as the new Volvo with the air ride front end.

Lightning
    One thing that has not been mentioned is engine break-in time. My Duramax had way more power once it had 15,000 miles on it vs. when it was brand new.

BadKachina
    I thought I had read somewhere that the '08 f-450's were detuned or had less hp than the f-350/f-250's??? Maybe this isn't true, I just though I had read it at one time.

Beer-30
    I thought I had read somewhere that the '08 f-450's were detuned or had less hp than the f-350/f-250's??? Maybe this isn't true, I just though I had read it at one time.
    This may be very true. Look at the C/K4500-5500. The Dmax is detuned slightly in these models. Since the 450/550 is also a "work" truck in their eyes instead of a "play" truck, Ford may detune theirs also.
    My wife just ordered my 2008 C3500 Dmax dually yesterday.

Beer-30
    Beer , I was just joking that Magic is pulling a house , cause I know he has a
    Formula cruiser . He should have tried a 650 instead of the 450 .
    True enough. Go big or go home. The heaviest thing I haul right now is the boat at around 9000 on the road. A 3/4 ton would be perfect, but the peace of mind of having the 3500 under/in front of it is priceless. Plus, I like that the weight on the rear is distributed over 4 tires instead of two.

Magic34
    Weight. I think the power is there, as it is in the LBZ, but you are in a much heavier truck. I am a GM man, but I have to say that Ford has always overbuilt their frames. You are comparing a 1-ton to a 1.5-ton / both with similar power. Every 100 lbs makes a difference. I don't know exactly the difference in wt between a GM 3500 4X and a Ford 450 4X, but I wouldn't be surprised at 1500 lbs or so.
    That was my thought on the power. The truck was heavier so it would be slower. That was definietly the case in my 4500, it was too damn heavy for the DMax. I figured that my truck was lighter and that is why it felt even faster. I ws really just responding to all the hype on teh F450. I was amped to get one, then was really let down when I drove it.
    However, I didn't know how much heavier that truck was. After driving the FL just over 100 miles, I love it and so happy with my decision.

Magic34
    So, one arrived at my house on Friday afternoon to go drive for a little bit. = BALLER
    Nah, it is all about who you know.

lucky
    an Fyi for all you diesel owners , did you know that if you own Two diesel trucks over 66oo Lbs that YOu are to comply with A.R.B and better have records of your trucks smoke tests , should they be 2000 and older

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast