Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ford F450.. My review

TOBTEK
    Im with you Mike. I really wanted to get a new twin turbo 350 or 450. Just WAS NOT impressed at all. Id been hearing that this TT motor was like having my Duramax with stage 5 Juice on.... NOT! How about the three foot squared "HEAVY DUTY" stamped plastic dash on the passenger side what were they thinking??? And the retail prices are just crazy. Looks like I'll be calling Jay when the time comes.

HighRoller
    I concur. Went to sit in a new SD and found it the same as all Ford trucks; seats way too high and steering wheel way too low for a 6'3" dude. And with the SuperDuty badging top to bottom front to back it makes you wonder whether Ford is desperate to keep you from forgetting what you're driving. Interior way too plastic for me. But, on the plus side, the double barrel muffler/flame arrestor/silencer/smoke eliminator/exhaust pipe/tailpipe makes you think it puts out some serious power. I heard 630 ft/lbs at the rear wheels. Anyone know what an LBZ does?

nodigg
    Came down here to get opinions on the 450 and look what was being discussed already! Just got back from the dealer myself.
    First, the 250 and 350 are the same trucks except for an extra leaf in the rear according to the salesman. Same brakes, same axles, same front end.
    If I remember correctly, the literature states with the 488 rears you get a lower hp/torque mapping. So the 250 long bed 4x4 I tested this afternoon seemed quicker to rev and about the same as far as seat of the pants acceleration as my 05 Duramax 4x4 short bed. It was WAAAY quieter and turned much shorter, and much softer riding.

AZJD
    Came down here to get opinions on the 450 and look what was being discussed already! Just got back from the dealer myself.
    First, the 250 and 350 are the same trucks except for an extra leaf in the rear according to the salesman. Same brakes, same axles, same front end.
    If I remember correctly, the literature states with the 488 rears you get a lower hp/torque mapping. So the 250 long bed 4x4 I tested this afternoon seemed quicker to rev and about the same as far as seat of the pants acceleration as my 05 Duramax 4x4 short bed. It was WAAAY quieter and turned much shorter, and much softer riding.
    The new LMM is so quiet you sometimes don't know it's running. I rode in the new 250 this weekend and you certainly hear those turbos.

Magic34
    Did your 05 Duramax have the LLY or LBZ? The LLY is a turd compared to the LBZ. I couldn't believe the difference.

LOWRIVER2
    So, is it true that the new F series need the whole cab pulled off for any work other than basic repairs?
    I get the "purpose" built idea on pulling heavy loads but I drove it and it is different in take off from a Kodiak. I've driven an 05 Kodiak a scant 500 miles towing 15k lbs. in skid steer and the LLY seems more responsive under load and empty than the new 6.4/F450. Both were 4X4's.

nodigg
    Did your 05 Duramax have the LLY or LBZ? The LLY is a turd compared to the LBZ. I couldn't believe the difference.
    Don't get me wrong, the Duramax PULLS! I pull a 15k plus trailer frequently. But keeping cool is the problem for mine. Even with the add-on trans cooler there is too much torque to keep cool. I'm looking for a lower rear end and Chevy won't give it to us!

INSman
    Don't get me wrong, the Duramax PULLS! I pull a 15k plus trailer frequently. But keeping cool is the problem for mine. Even with the add-on trans cooler there is too much torque to keep cool. I'm looking for a lower rear end and Chevy won't give it to us!
    LLY's had cooling problems, LB7 and LBZ have never that I have heard. Have you tried the synthetic Evans Coolant ????????
    http://www.evanscooling.com/html/npgPls.htm
    Not cheap, but works VERY well .....

nodigg
    LLY's had cooling problems, LB7 and LBZ have never that I have heard. Have you tried the synthetic Evans Coolant ????????
    http://www.evanscooling.com/html/npgPls.htm
    Not cheap, but works VERY well .....
    I'll check it out but I am pretty sure its the too big tires, lift and 4x4 overloaded that does me in...:idea:

Thunder Struck
    Hey magic... if you would like to pull your boat with a 450 let me know. I have had mine for a few months now and the power seems to get better the more miles i put on it. I pull a quad axel 50' Weekend Warrior with mine and it does great in my opinion. Also the cooling system on it is awsome! Alot better than my 05 f350. Also the new chip gets rid of the limiter. I also looked at the freightliner but the tow rating on it was not as good as the ford 450.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast