Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo 350, Turbo 400, or Powerglide?

corleone17
    What really is the best set-up and why?

Fiat48
    Well, here's my 2 cents worth (maybe overpriced). I race boats and cars. The powerglide can be made near bulletproof, is lightweight but you only have 2 gears (probably all you need). I run 190 MPH in 7 seconds with one in a Blown Alcohol motor in a 48 Fiat. This would be my choice for a boat. Low gear ratio of 1.76 to 1 is stock (most..some are 1.82) Turbo 350 or 400 gives you 3 gears..but with over 200 ratio on the low, cannot see how low gear would be of use. Guys used to run Turbo 400 because they were so strong, but I feel the powerglide can now be made just as strong..maybe stronger, with less weight and cheaper too. The boat I have is a Blown alcohol Flat and I don't use a transmission. But if I were going to shift it, I would build a powerglide.

coolchange
    Powerglide if you want r-n-d and low to putt the marina. 400 has a tighter 2nd to hi ratio and 350 has a tighter 1st to 2nd ratio but bigger jump to hi. 400 if you want to shift it, PG if you just want a trans. Nice thing about the 400 is electric kick down. hold the button down and then relase to hit hi gear. Nice if you have the kind of boat you don't want to be tryin to find gears in.

1quickjet
    A TH400 will rob approximately 30 more hp than a TH350, so I have heard from many a trans guy. However, a TH400 will handlle considerably more HP. Don't know what type of load a boat places on a trans compared to a car though. My .02

Backfire
    If your strategy is to gear and prop your boat for top end and have a lower gear for takeoff, the powerglide won't work because 1st gear is too low! If you want to shift it you'll use 2nd and 3rd of a 3 speed tranny. Which one? As stated, the t-400 eats more of your power but is MUCH stronger (and heavier!) Water isn't as harsh a running environment for the drivetrain as pavement is except for the hopping and re-entry. I've used t-350's on 2 boats with mild big-blocks and 22% overdrive without problems. With bigger horsepower and overdrive numbers, I'd choose the t-400

V-Drive Tom
    FIAT48, Because it seems that there is good after market parts and technology for the powerglide, the only thing left undesirable is the split between 1st and 2nd. How much does a guy end up spending for a shortened, trick one? How tight can you make the split? Finally, what trans builder do YOU recommend? TOM..

SK48
    Power glides have a serious lubrication problem in boats. They sit at an angle, and do not get properly lubricated. I don't know what the fix is, but I remember years ago at Alpha Marine in Temple City, Ca. they ate up several powerglides. They learned how to run an external oil line to some part of the transmission. Sorry I don't know the procedure, and they retired a few years ago.

blownschiada
    I ran a "tricked out powerglide" short shaft with all TCI parts and it granaded the first trip out.I am running a turbo 400 now and it is bullet proof.Shifting at 7000 from second to drive is neck wrenching! Good luck

Fiat48
    Vdrive Tom:
    I highly recommend Mikes transmssions in Lancaster, California for performance transmission work. I build my own glides now, but I must admit I copied the first one from his work. I must agree there is no good way to get the needed gear ratio split for a boat that I can think of. Mike has run 6 seconds at over 200 with a Powerglide in a dragster and has done so for many years. Now I see there are aftermarket cases, planetary sets and Vasco input and output shafts for powerglides. I am pushing 190 in the drag car with the stock planetary 1.76 gears, although I am afraid I will reach their limit soon. But for a boat that just wanted a reverse, forward and a neutral, I can't see why the powerglide would not work. Don't know about the lubrication problem mentioned.

spectras only
    Fiat48, you wouldn't happen to run 190 MPH in a Topolino ? My buddy has a 29 Balilla in the old country ,but way to nice to cut it up to make a hotrod out of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast