Thread: Anybody looking for a labrador?

Tremor Girl
    One of the lab rescues I work with is being over run with unwanted labs.
    They have them from 4 months old up to 10 years old! All their foster homes are full and they are desperately looking for people who would like to adopt a lab or who would be interested in fostering one.
    They are in Las Vegas but you don't need to be there to foster
    One of the benefits of adopting a dog that's been in foster care is you pretty much know what behavioral issues, if it's a jumper or if it likes the water! (very important to us)
    Here's a link to their website. http://www.lasvegaslabradorrescue.com/
    If you'd like anyother info, feel free to PM me. Thanks,
    Lynn

HOLLYWOOD
    ahhhhh Lynn: I have 2 labs myself and it makes me want to cry to see that there are labs without homes. Awareness is great and you should be proud that you are putting the word out. I will send the link to my non-hot boater friends as well.
    Take Care,
    Holly
    Xtreme Audio Covers
    www.xaudiocovers.com

Old Texan
    I have a question since you work with these recovery groups. I went to 2 groups, Lab and Golden Retriever recovery groups and was basically turned down by both. I adopted a lab mix from the county animal shelter so I did get a dog.
    My experience with these folks was rather puzzling. My wife and I have no small children unless the grand kids are visiting, have an older daughter living with us and her Sheltie and no other animals. Someone is at our home most everyday except vacations and we would be keeping the dog indoors in our basement which is 75% finished with my office where the dog would share my day.
    We wanted a dog to take on the boat and he would be a major part of our lives. Our "interviews" with the pets we liked went well and each was very firendly with us as we were with them.
    With all this positive information and such we were turned down by 4 Foster care folks for various reasons that made little sense. 2 of the 4 had their animals for extended periods and had turned down a pretty good number of applicants. I got this information from a reliable source involved and she was quite disconcerted with the way they were so picky. A couple of them had up to 6 dogs in their care and it seemed to me they just wouldn't let go.
    Here's my question, why do these groups engage foster memebers that won't release the dogs if that's what the purpose of the whole program is about?
    It sure soured me on dealing with another recovery group and I have heard a lot of these stories since from others including animal shelter workers, many of whom hold recovery groups in low regard for some of their actions.
    By the way my experience was in Atlanta several years ago.

HocusPocus
    thanks for the info, my 2 year old black lab (chief) ran away last time i was in havasu, a family member came over to borrow a trailer and left my gate open.

Sleek-Jet
    I have a question since you work with these recovery groups. I went to 2 groups, Lab and Golden Retriever recovery groups and was basically turned down by both. I adopted a lab mix from the county animal shelter so I did get a dog.
    My experience with these folks was rather puzzling. My wife and I have no small children unless the grand kids are visiting, have an older daughter living with us and her Sheltie and no other animals. Someone is at our home most everyday except vacations and we would be keeping the dog indoors in our basement which is 75% finished with my office where the dog would share my day.
    We wanted a dog to take on the boat and he would be a major part of our lives. Our "interviews" with the pets we liked went well and each was very firendly with us as we were with them.
    With all this positive information and such we were turned down by 4 Foster care folks for various reasons that made little sense. 2 of the 4 had their animals for extended periods and had turned down a pretty good number of applicants. I got this information from a reliable source involved and she was quite disconcerted with the way they were so picky. A couple of them had up to 6 dogs in their care and it seemed to me they just wouldn't let go.
    Here's my question, why do these groups engage foster memebers that won't release the dogs if that's what the purpose of the whole program is about?
    It sure soured me on dealing with another recovery group and I have heard a lot of these stories since from others including animal shelter workers, many of whom hold recovery groups in low regard for some of their actions.
    I had the same experience... I'm willing to bet it's easier to adopt a child than get a dog from some of these people.
    I ended up getting a puppy from the Sportin Woods...

bear down
    This happened to us as well. Same exact scenario. When they asked where the dogs would be kept, I told them that they would be outside dogs but had a full size shed as their quarters. They did not like that and denied us the dog. So we paid $500 bucks for a puppy. Go figure.

HALLETT BOY
    This happened to us as well. Same exact scenario. When they asked where the dogs would be kept, I told them that they would be outside dogs but had a full size shed as their quarters. They did not like that and denied us the dog. So we paid $500 bucks for a puppy. Go figure.
    Bingo ! you paid $500 for the puppy, you should of found out what the bottom line from the doggie adoption people was... I bet they were just waiting for the right offer....money talks .

They might want to up-date their website unless having 5 dogs is being "over run".
    There are 5 dogs "Available" and no dog in "Next in Line".