Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smallblock I/O vs. BBC jet.......

rlemn8r
    I have a eliminator 210 eagle with a 496, 450 hp with a legend pump. engine is totally stock, run's 63 mph with 2 people aboard, has great storage, holds 50 gal. of fuel and will go all weekend with no fill up. The I/O might get a little more speed, or a little better mileage, but the jet is safer and has a great rooster tail...

OCMerrill
    I have a small block Merc Mag and an Alpha Drive. I have never owned a Jet Boat but have driven many. To compare is really difficult.
    I can say for mileage my Lavey gets about 4 mpg average over a weekend on the Parker Strip verified by my totalizier on my hand held GPS. Two 20 gal tanks will last three days for me and thats driving not constant floating. I can run 70+ but I have a Tunnel Hull boat so small power works OK.

dicudmore
    the jet is safer? seriously?? just curious here...when not running how much friendlier is it to kick a jet pump than the gear case of a drive? they both hurt...

ChumpChange
    I/O all the way jet-drives are for sea doos not family cruisers
    Wow, no comments from the Jetters on this?

bordsmnj
    I have a eliminator 210 eagle with a 496, 450 hp with a legend pump. engine is totally stock, run's 63 mph with 2 people aboard, has great storage, holds 50 gal. of fuel and will go all weekend with no fill up. The I/O might get a little more speed, or a little better mileage, but the jet is safer and has a great rooster tail...
    don't put a gps in that boat you'll lose 10 mph. no bullshit.

ChumpChange
    don't put a gps in that boat you'll lose 10 mph. no bullshit.
    Those GPS systems sure do weigh a lot.

pw_Tony
    the jet is safer? seriously?? just curious here...when not running how much friendlier is it to kick a jet pump than the gear case of a drive? they both hurt...
    Sometimes when I want to get on the boat I'll stand on the jet pump...
    But I can show you my scar on my hand from a prop

XtrmWakeborder
    Obviously I'm not sure what kind of boat you have, but one of my fathers boats has a small block I/O, it's a 20' and can get a max speed of 45mph, trim all up, and a couple passenegers with no cargo.
    And my friend's other cheetah 21' has a small block I/O and runs 48mph all day, not quite 65.
    As for the average jet BB boat under 22' will probably do a good 55mph, but that's with a lot more holeshot, and fun factor
    And a jet can plane alot faster
    Those must be horrible hulls because my 85 mini daycruiser does 53mph with a jet and and the original 350. Thats real world also, not one person and fuel vapors.

Jim B.
    Sometimes when I want to get on the boat I'll stand on the jet pump...
    But I can show you my scar on my hand from a prop
    I second that........
    I'd much rather bang my leg on a jet pump rather than a prop!

Insurance God
    Good point.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast