Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calgo Steering

victorfb
    how much tension should there be on the cables? i dont want to over tighten the adjustments and ruin the system. the first time i sinched the cable ends on the loop, removed the lock screw and inserted the zerk fitting, then spun it a bunch of times. the cables loosened up quite a bit. maybe i didnt have the sheathing far enough into the helm screws. i retightened the cables and it seems to be good. a little noisy at the helm like its kind of dry, but it says its supposed to be full of grease. i know i greased the crap out of the cables as i slid them into the sheathing. has anyone had to pump grease into the helm of a new unit before? if so, how much? will it just over flow into the sheathing of the cables?
    thanks...

That is normal, you will have to periodically tighten the cables up, especially on a new system. I like my cables real tight, they should be fairly tight, when they get loose the steering is sloppy.
    The noisy box is strange, they do make noise but its hard to say if its a problem..You can grease the gearbox at the zerk but it will take a decent amount of grease to pack the entire unit, I take the rear cover off and grease each gear when I service mine, I dont use the zerk. Im not suggesting you take the rear cover off though, you might open a can of worms if your not familiar with the system.If you take it off just go slow so you can see whats involved.

victorfb
    thanks chris. i dont think ill remove the rear cover just yet. ill try the zerk for a bit first. will the excess grease go into the cable sheath? how do i know ive filled it?
    as for the sloppy steering. its allready a hell of alot better than what i had before. but there is a little play in it still. if i try and move the nozzle back and forth by hand i do get a little movement before i see the wheel turn at all. is that close enough before i take it to the water and test it?

cyclone
    mine made a bit of noise when it was new. i dont know if it still does or not.

victorfb
    thanks, im sure its like any other mechanical part, just needs some break in time.

SPECTRABRENT
    Cyclone or CS19,
    I have the Calgo system in my boat, do you guys know who makes a nice billet (4 to 6 inches) steering post? If so, where did you get it?
    Thanks,
    Brent

Only post made for a calgo is by calgo and its cast alum, they come is atleast 2 different lenghts..Ive seen a custom billet one made but it wasnt cheap although it was very trick. A talented machinist should be able to crank a custom one out for ya.Talk to wsuwrhr?

cyclone
    cs is right and the stock cast one isn't the best quality. the casting is porous so when you get it hot to powdercoat the part it outgasses and the powdercoating doesn't look all that smooth.
    having a custom built one would be trick.

SPECTRABRENT
    Only post made for a calgo is by calgo and its cast alum, they come is atleast 2 different lenghts..Ive seen a custom billet one made but it wasnt cheap although it was very trick. A talented machinist should be able to crank a custom one out for ya.Talk to wsuwrhr?
    I would be interested in a custom one, I will PM wsuwrhr.
    Thanks,
    Brent

victorfb
    actually mine is a billet piece. i got it from mike @ Rex Marine when i bought the entire system. it was six inches but i turned it down to about 4 inches on a mini lathe. a real simple peice to make. call Rex Marine and i bet they can either make you one or most likely allready have one in stock. ill take some pics of all i made for my system when i get back from the river this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast