Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tar on INTERIOR!!!!!!!

Budman13
    I was on my way home from Lake Powell, and when I got to Kanab There was a stall. The two lanes in both directions were being resurfaced with either tar or oil and rocks. I had to drive very slow not to kick rocks all over my 2 year old boat for about 1 to 2 miles through this crap then another mile to get the stuff off my tires. The boat seems to have survived but the interior has black dots all over. My interior looks like a poppy seed muffin. Any suggestions how to get clean. I tried hot sauce wich with some elbow grease took off the black but left a yellow brown dot where the black was. Hopefully the sun will bleach them out, but looking for ideas.

Nucking futs
    wd-40

HammerDown
    wd-40
    I concur...

77charger
    I work with roofing tar and we use wd40 to remove it from places where it aint suppose to go.I am sure road tar can easily be removed with it too.Plus it aint as harsh as other stuff out there

cave
    Baby oil works to, not as hash as wd

bp
    i use either goo gone, or lacquer thinner which says on the can it's for removing crap like that.

If it turns out that it's more of a stain on the vynl rather than residue on the vynl use simple green and fine steel wool with light elbow grease. I know it sounds harsh but it won't damage your vynl and it gets out allmost any stain. I got that that tip straight from a pro-detailer and I have used it several times with nothing but positive results.

i use either goo gone, or lacquer thinner which says on the can it's for removing crap like that.
    Lacquer thinner will work but its really bad for the material because it dries it out really quick. WD40 works great or....(and I know this sounds stupid) OJ works amazingly well. It has to be real OJ with the pulp and all, the citric acid really works.
    F.J.

Camping fuel works well removing glue and grease smudges. It pretty much removes anything petroleum based, but does not harm the material.

scooooter7
    Camplng fuel = Naptha, lighter fluid is the same thing. It should do the trick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast