Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: blown flappers!!

bighead
    I made some from the liners of a semi truck tube tire, been there 3 seasons and still fine.

BrendellaJet
    thousands of boats run for years without replacing flappers. there is something else wrong.

asch
    Yep had the same thing happen. Replaced the old ones, 2-5/8" I believe, which were too small, and blew em off within a matter of minutes. Bought some 3" flappers and problem solved. Apparently the slightly larger diameter allows a tighter fit into the exhaust bell preventing the flapper from "sucking" backwards and eventually splitting apart. Be sure to use your old plates. The new ones most likely won't fit. You may even have to drill new holes into the new rubber in order to get the alignment right. I did.
    I forget the name of the company, but you should be able to get them from Rex or any marine supply for around 10-20 bucks
    Good Luck

snake321
    I cut back on my water while adjusting temps and lost mine. I bought new and then burned through the rubber hose that connects them to the logs. I don't know exactly when they went through, but when I stopped I sure knew about it. Water came in so dam fast I couldn't believe it. I dam near sank, punched it, went almost nose up from the weight in the back, got out in the channel and hauled ass to the boatyard and did big circles until the bilge pumped it out and then I beached it next to the ramp. Long story short----get more water to the exhaust.

asch
    Look at the bottom. That thing is getting chewed up from getting sucked back and forth over the lip. Now unless that's just some really crappy rubber, I think you'll find your problem solved with a larger, snugger fitting flapper.
    BTW: My old, original flappers were beginning to look EXACTLY like that.
    The new, larger flapper actually sits inside in the bell in a slightly concave shape along the edges providing and excellent seal. it's a little quieter now too. No more of that "flubbity-flubbity-flubbity" slapping sound at idle.
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...9&d=1185766262

Mr. Crusader 83
    You dont need no stinkin plappers. Mine kept falling off. So i left them off. :jawdrop:

Screemy1
    I used rex marine's steel no burn flappers.... no probs... and used flush tips, so the transom is smooth and flat..... very happy hear

ck7684
    I just got my engine fired up and it blew the damn flappers right off. Brand new ones too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12