Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Swap

Sooooeat
    Wondering if anyone can help with a couple of questions? I have a 76 hallett with a 455 olds. I know nothing about engines so I would need a shop to do everything. From what I have read the 454 BBC is just a better engine then the 455. Right now the 455 is not giving me any troble but I just don't trust it, especially when I want some speed. I am wondering what I should budget if I wanted to swap it out for a stock 454 BBC. Also, someone told me that I would need to have the engine cover redone. The engine cover is the kind where it is in the middle and you have two kid seats next to it. Any help would be great.

Havasu Carrera
    I know of a twin turbo 455 that went about 15 years without a rebuild. Used it every other weekend every summer. I have allot of faith in the OLDS. Another buddy has run the heck out of his olds for a few seasons. The only thing (I am sure you heard and know) is to not rev it to long as the oil stays in the top end and it will starve the mains and uh oh. WHY CHANGE THE PERFECTLY GOOD MOTOR!? YOUR NUTS lol just trying to save you some hastles and $$$

mlaines
    Im in the last phases of going from an Olds to a BBC. Im doing it with friends and i've spent about 3k. Keep in mind thats with buying used parts (headers, motor mounts...) along with new parts. If your having a shop doing it plan for a lot more. When I blew up my Olds i called JP and asked what he would charge for a rebuild he quoted me around 5k. (drop the boat off and pick it up turnkey)
    Hope this helps

suckin&pumpin
    c hevy will slow you down try a ford:devil:
    FORD = FASTER

Sooooeat
    Thanks for the info. Does anyone know about the engine cover redesign. I would hope the engines would be almost the same dimensions
    http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...g?t=1185844169

75 spectra V-drive
    The chevy motor is wider and taller and a lot of new parts are involved. Hot Boat had a article outlining what is involved in sept 2006.:idea:

78CoLe
    I agree put a ford in it more torque and hp in stock form

78CoLe
    O and i rode in a boat this weekend with a olds and it moved it was a 20 spectra strong olds in it

Squirtin Thunder
    I know of a twin turbo 455 that went about 15 years without a rebuild. Used it every other weekend every summer. I have allot of faith in the OLDS. Another buddy has run the heck out of his olds for a few seasons. The only thing (I am sure you heard and know) is to not rev it to long as the oil stays in the top end and it will starve the mains and uh oh. WHY CHANGE THE PERFECTLY GOOD MOTOR!? YOUR NUTS lol just trying to save you some hastles and $$$
    Amanda says Hi !

75 spectra V-drive
    jerimie,hows it goin? ya that olds runs strong, but only for about 20 secs at a time. It will probably be up for sale this winter. Thanks for the ride in your CoLe that thing gets f###ing down!!
    Greg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast