Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Extreme Marine AZ sucks!!!!! My horrible experience...

Magic34
    My Horrible Experience with Extreme Marine AZ in Phoenix
    First, I hate doing this post. This is not my style to rip on a business, but I cant take it anymore. I am a VERY easygoing guy, probably too much.
    Chuck had 1 last chance today to make it right today, and blew it again, which was about the 10th time, so here is my story. I was PROMISED on Saturday that he would be there to finish it on Monday, no BS as I was told.
    A few friends on here know the story, but I donÂ’t want anyone to speculate about another shop and hurt their reputation, so here is my experience. IÂ’ll start at the beginning including the reason why I used them in the first place.
    Back in March of 2005, I almost bought a Formula 382 FasTech and I sent the boat to Extreme Marine to have it checked out. 1 of the motors, which were 500efi with whipples, was low on compression. They gave me very upfront info, and even had to replace an impeller which they ate the charge on in order to do the test. I was very happy with their upfront honesty back in 2005. I didnÂ’t buy that boat because of the test, and ordered my #2 34Â’ Magic cat.
    So, now it comes time to use them again with my “new to me” Formula 370SS. 40 hours are on this boat. I went to them because the guy who runs the shop also used to work for the Formula dealer in town. I thought this was a great fit. The shop was great with me before AND he knows the boat.
    I used the boat for about 5 hours on 1 day after I got it, than put it in a hanger at Deer Valley airport knowing that Extreme Marine was close by, within 5 miles or so.
    I had an appointment to get the following items done on May 21, 2007. They needed to pick it up and take it to their shop. Here is my list:
    Repairs to be made:
    1. Fix port side marks in paint, smooth and blend paint.
    2. Fix mark on bottom of boat on port side, located on one of the steps in the hull, just before fender of trailer (about a quarter-sized black mark).
    3. Look at all surface scratches on boat and repair.
    4. Top side of arch, scratches and any holes fixed.
    5. Mount satellite hinge, fold back and unit must not exceed 90 degrees. Hinge is being shipped to Extreme Marine today from Seattle.
    6. Generator not pumping water out exhaust, impeller? Please order 3 extra impellers for me to keep on boat.
    7. Generator needs coolant, reservoir empty.
    8. Repair stain in carpet under refrigerator in cabin.
    9. Cockpit cover started to tear at a seam, located on the cover where it sits at the right of the helm, on side.
    10. The roller that the anchor sits on has a big pin and is missing a cotter pin to hold it in, please replace missing pin.
    11. Windshield wipers need new blades.
    12. Starting issues with the shifters not catching neutral. WonÂ’t turn over many times when boat is in neutral; ignition is not recognizing it being in neutral.
    I already had the paint from Formula to fix item #1, and I had the hinge in item #5 sent directly to them. The hinge arrived before my boat did. You can see that this list is a fairly minor one, with the paint being the most major part. No broken motors/drives, etc.
    So, my appointment was for the Monday before Memorial Day weekend. I was not going to use the boat for quite some time because my wife was in the final weeks of her pregnancy and we could not use the boat until the baby was 6 weeks old, and my wife had healed for 6 weeks after her C-Section.
    So looking at the calendar, that first special day to really “use” the new boat was Saturday July 28, 2007. This was the day that we were really able to use all of the functions of this boat, those same functions being the reason we purchased it. My boating season didn’t start until this day, or at least was supposed to.
    So, that week goes by, and my boat doesn’t get picked up. No problem, I understand. Memorial Day weekend is a huge weekend for boaters, so get those other ones taken care of since I am not going to be out there. Well, week 2 goes by… now comes week 3. My boat gets picked up from the hanger and goes inside of the shop. Cool, it is inside, great news. I figured that it was going to stay clean that way because it was spotless when they picked it up. I ask what the bill will be now that they have seen the boat. Jokingly, I am told “a lot” and normally you would run, but then I was told it wont be bad, and that I would get an estimate.
    Now it is the week of June 4. On Thursday (6/7) of that week, I drive down to the shop (about 35-40 miles 1 way) and see what is up with my boat. Our baby wasnÂ’t being delivered until June 15 and I had 6 weeks after that. I knew they had some time to get everything done, and I wanted to check out the BBQ that he suggested and had in stock.
    I get there and the main blemish on the port side (item #1) had been sprayed but not sanded and buffed. That was the only noticeable thing that I could see had been done. I was told the generator impeller was replaced, but I am unsure of that until I try and use it. The interior of my boat was very dirty and someone had walked all over the seats with shoes to work on the arch, no ladder and towels or blankets. I express that I expect it as clean as it was when it was picked up.
    OK, so I leave thinking that they have more than enough time to get everything else done. Time goes by, we have the baby, and the week of 4th of July, I go to the shop again to check progressÂ… That was 4 weeks later than my last visitÂ…. Mind you, items 9, 10, & 11 were a total of 30 minutes combined fix time.
    Not 1 thing had been accomplished since I was last there. Stupid things like the mount that goes on my swim platform for my BBQ, I wanted that polished and expressed that last time I was there, it still wasnÂ’t done. I was told that they had an extra one at the polisher. Guess which one is on my boat now? At his time, I inform them that I will be picking up the boat on July 11, and I am reassured that everything will be done.
    I make an appointment at my stereo shop to get the boat in the week of July 9, so they have ample time to get that all done.
    So, here is July 11, and I call to see what the status is. He has had access to my boat for 8 weeks at this point, and physically had it in the shop for 6 weeks. I am told tomorrow being July 12. I tell him that I will be there first thing to pick it up. I get a call later in the afternoon of the 11th and told that it wont be until late afternoon on the 12th. I am starting to get the picture here. I was leaving town at noon on the 12th but didnÂ’t say anything about it, just tried to keep the pressure onÂ… yeah, that didnÂ’t work. I got a call after lunch time after I was 30 miles out of town heading up north. I am told that it wont be ready until Friday. I inform them that I am leaving town and now donÂ’t need it until MondayÂ… Another mistake. We make arrangements to get it Monday. I talked to them Friday afternoon, and guess what, Monday wont work, not ready. At this point it is July 16. They have had access to my boat for 9 weeks at this point and my boat has physically been there almost 7 weeks. In between all of this the last 2 weeks, I ask again what my bill is literally 10 times, and am told that heÂ’ll get back to me.
    July 16: I call and see what time, and am told that afternoon. I ask again what my bill was, and am told that he needs to total it up and he will call me back. So hours go by and at about 1 PM, I call again and ask what my bill was. I was told $1700. I then asked how much for a lightweight cover to fit my bow? A get a call back and am told $400. So, I am looking around $2100-$2200 total plus any tax. I tell them to make the cover after I am told they need 2 days tops to get it done.
    Now Wednesday July 18, I call let them know I will be there at 1 PM. I didnÂ’t want to hit traffic with it, so a 5 PM pickup was out of the question. I am told the cover is taking a little longer and that is our only hold up. I am then told that Thursday is the day. Guess what happens ThursdayÂ… I am told Friday.
    At this time, I tell them that I will be there at 1 PM on Friday to pick it up regardless of it being done or not. I arrive right on time and my boat is sitting out there. Boat cover on, looks great and I start looking at items on my list.
    - Boat cover looks good
    - Cockpit cover finally stitched up (this was a 3” tear) good
    - Paint done including bottom repairs, but cant really tell as this side of the boat was shaded. They also missed a few spots that I really wanted repaired.
    - Windshield wipers replaced
    - Cotter pin replaced (10 cent part and 30 second install)
    - I am told the genny is good, still donÂ’t know that
    - BBQ and custom BBQ bag look great, actually the bag is the nicest thing they did
    Here is where I start to get pissedÂ…
    The BBQ mount installed is not polished. The boat is COVERED in overspray. The top half of a 37’ boat that is 10’ 6” wide has overspray all over it!!! This really pisses me off being that I take pride in having a very smooth finished boat. The hinge of my satellite and cut down radar mount, not done and I have not seen them. I am told that they are at the powder coater. Hmmm, hope so. The stain in the carpet, which was the #1 thing my wife wanted fixed, not done. The carpet was supposed to get dyed, then after that wasn’t done in the first 6 weeks, I told them to simply replace it. Again, I was told no problem. Yeah right.
    The main paint work, which was the #1 reason I took it there has white streaks all under the clear. It looks like a$$!!!! So, essentially that didnÂ’t get done.
    I had also asked for some flag mounts for my trailer, and when I picked the boat up, they were not on there, guess where those wereÂ… The powder coater was the answer. We are talking about a pair of parts for $30, this should be easy in 8+ weeks.
    So, I get the bill and it is $3200!!!! WTF??? I was expecting $2400 or $2500 worse case scenario, but $3200??? I was told that he didn’t really add it all up except in his head and when he put it on paper, it was a lot more. I asked at least 13 times, no BS, what my bill was and when I finally got an answer after begging for what my bill was going to be and told $1700 plus the cover, it is $1000 more than I was told 5 days prior!!! Since it wasn’t done, I paid ½ and said when the rest was complete I would pay the remaining. I am told that they will be at the stereo shop on Wednesday to complete everything else. This is the mounts on my radar arch, carpet replacement, and now claybar my boat. I am giving up on the polished part and additional paint repairs with them. That $400 cover I was told, ended up $550 too. Pretty far off in terms of %, even though it is only $150.
    I am now really behind at the stereo shop but drop it off anyways hoping it can get done. I get it in there at 3:30 PM on Friday (7/20). I am a full week behind on what the stereo shop told me they needed.
    Now, the stereo shop cant get a hold of me until late Monday afternoon because I was in Vegas in meetings and then headed to Utah to get my truck. I get the estimate and tell them to get it all done. So they start Tuesday on the boat, way behind thanks to Extreme Marine. I arrive at the stereo shop on Wednesday to have my new truck tinted, and was expecting to see Extreme Marine there finishing my boat. Hahahaha NOPE!!!
    I call and am told that they will be there on Thursday. Well, the stereo shop is closed down until 1 PM on Thursday to film the “Eric Byrnes Show” that airs on FSN. I tell Extreme Marine that they are good to go at 1 PM. I call at 1:30 and see if he is there yet, and they tell me they were waiting to hear from me. Go figure, they wont be there Thursday. Friday comes, and guess what, I am told he’ll be there, but never showed.
    The stereo shop only had 3 days to get my boat done and it wasnÂ’t enough. Regardless, Extreme Marine as of 7/28 (which is the date I picked back in March to finally go to the lake) isnÂ’t even done with the boat.
    I was going to dispute some charges on my credit card, but for what, a few hundred bucks? I just am cutting my losses and moving on.
    I have now heard many stories of disappointment from this shop. People told me not to go there, but I thought that everything was so simple on my boat, it couldnÂ’t get screwed up or not finished. I wasnÂ’t rebuilding a motor or drive, nothing major. I know a few things going on with the place and I can offer this adviceÂ…
    If you are scheduling your boat to be worked on there for anything, pick a different shop. If you have a boat or parts down there right now, go get them as you are running out of time. Trust me on this one, 2 weeks tops. Even if they were going to be around longer, I would never use them again.
    I messed up. I should have taken it to Power Marine in Phoenix. In 5 years Power marine has NEVER done me wrong and now that I tried using a different shop, I regret it 10 fold. I was always treated AWESOME at Power Marine. In 5 years, not 1 complaint. I really should have stuck with the ones who had always treated me right.

CMac
    WOW, sorry you had so much trouble.
    I'll stick with SCM.

lake p.a.l.
    Sorry to hear about your problems. I know I will NEVER do business with them after hearing this and a few other stories. Good luck.

Magic34
    WOW, sorry you had so much trouble.
    I'll stick with SCM.
    Who do you deal with there? I still need to get my carpet repaired. it is a section no more than 6" tall and about 20 inches wide on an end. hiding seams would be easy.
    I called there today and talked to Dale. He has the personality of a nat. I guess I need to talk to Jeff.

LAFD
    damn thats a whole lotta writing. sounds like you got the royal shaft. definitly not good. hope you can get it all worked out.

RitcheyRch
    That sucks. Amazing how it seems something so simple can get all screwed up.

USCFAN
    I hate it when stuff like that happens. You would think that these shops would give you a day and honor it, especially with the amount of time that they had to complete the job.

JryLineman
    Shops these days really don't give an ass about customers boats. Everytime I took my old SleekCraft into the Indian school store it came back dirty, dings on the trailer, and overspray. Hopefully you got everything straightened out

Mattman
    Sucks to hear but how's the new rig you picked up??

Magic34
    Sucks to hear but how's the new rig you picked up??
    The truck is awesome. I was really excited to try it out last weekend with the boat, but everyone reading this knows that story now.
    I will give it a shot on Sunday.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast