Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1986 evinrude 225 - Overheating

cfauvel
    wildthing
    Are you saying that the '93 thermos fit in place of the '86?
    The thermos were replaced a few years ago.
    wouldn't brand new thermos for the '86 be correct?
    I need to buy the temp. crayons to know for sure if it is still overheating.

WILDTHING
    85-87 have that shitty tuned crap....mechanic told me to use the 93 model...those that we have let our boats run to cool...If you want I can phone him and get the part # from him....

cfauvel
    Wildthing,
    Sure thing, get me the part numbers if you can. You think they'll fit on a v6? isn't a 300hp a v8
    I concur that it seems that the engine always seemed pretty cool. But I've read that the 160degree crayon should not melt, so working temp should be less than 160, and I'm guess more than 140.
    Checkout the photos for my other problem regarding the lower pivot point for the tilt ram. http://home1.gte.net/res00jqz/225evinrude/index.html
    click on "see photos"...the problem was/is that I couldn't get the lower pivot bar out for the tilt ram...so I became worried and wonder if it is supposed to slide out, like the "thrust rod" located near by.
    I haven't been working on it for a while..my next attempts will include a torch to heat the area then grinding one side into a hex (as best as I can) then use an impact wrench to try to turn it. If i can turn it then it should come out.
    it looks to me that it IS designed to have the tilt ram come out so that the middle section and can be replaced whilst the engine is mounted (like the use of proper english?).
    Regards
    Chris

WILDTHING
    cauvel...........
    Mine is a V8, but this guy should be able to come up with something for your application, he closed for the weekend so I will try to get it tomorrow for you. Yes you can do it with the motor on the boat..
    REMOVING THE POWERTRIM&TILT UNIT...
    1. Operate the unit and engage the tilt trail lock.!UNDER SOME FULL TILT OONDITIONS WHERE THE ENGINE'S GEARCASE IS REMOVED, THE TRIM AND TILT UNIT COULD BE OUT OF SEQUENCE, NOT FULLY SUPPORTING THE ENGINE'S WEIGHT.SO USE A SUITABLE HOIST OR TRILERING ARM'S.
    2. Lossen the starboard tilt tube nut's 2 turn's.
    3. Lossen the upper and lower starboard motor mount screw's
    4. Remove the spring clip from the tilt cylinder pin.
    5. Remove the tilt pin with a punch andd mallet.
    6. Lower the tilt cylinder to full "trim in " position.
    7.Remove the 2 sending unit screw's
    8. Remove the 2 tilt cylinder bushing's.
    9. Remove the green and blue wire's from the pump motor connecter housing.
    10. Using OMC pinremoval tool remove the the 2 sending unit wire's from the receptacle.
    11.Remove the 8 manifold screw's (4 port and 4 starboard).
    12. Remove one nut from each of the thrust rod's. Remove the thrust rod's from the stern bracket's.
    13. Pull the trim and tilt unit out and up, away from the stern bracket's.Pull the sending unit and pump motor wiring harness through the port stern bracket.
    This is long and hope it work's...you should really soak them down with "WD 40"...later...KIM...........

WILDTHING
    cfauvel.........
    To change over..#333967-cover need 2
    #32980-Gasket need2
    #434137-thermostates, Black one's are good , White garbage
    #336416-seats for thermos...He told me that it will make it run better, and alot less smoke...KIM.....

cfauvel
    thanks for the reply on the parts...
    I'm familiar with the set up of the thermos..and have seen the seat you are refering to, but have no clue how to remove them without messing something up.
    do you know how?

WILDTHING
    Sorry, I don't ...but I can ask ...ask "RATSO"...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12