Thread: Water Leak ...............

HavasuDreamin'
    Well, I finally got the boat back together after doing some work on it over the winter. I went out and fired it up yesterday! It fired first time after sitting for 8 1/2 months. smile_sp No gas leaks and no issues other than..........
    .......it appears as though I have a water leak around the base of the powerhead where the powerhead meets the mid-section. Water started collecting in the lower part of the cowl (pan). Not alot, but enough to catch my attention. I remember seeing this last year as well, but thought that it might have been spray some how getting up in the pan while under way.
    I put a 9/16 end wrench on the nuts that secure the power head and some of them were slightly loose. Hopefully this will cure my problem, but if it doesn't I will need to pull the powerhead and install a new gasket between the powerhead and mid-section.
    My questions are, what if any risks are there to running the boat a time or two assuming that tightening things up didn't solve my problem?
    BTW.......the motor is a 2.4L Merc. Bridgeport on a 19' Eliminator Daytona.

Zuumer
    HD,
    As you're facing forward, check the lower part of the motor on the right side. On the block,close to the pan there's a poppet valve that controls water pressure through the block. There's a small hole in the larger diameter portion of the cover that will leak water if the diaphram inside gets a tear. Due to the long time the boat sat, that diaphram may have broken when you started it up. Very easy to replace with an available diaphram kit. Also suggest you go all around once more and tighted all the nuts then run it with the hose attachment and check it out.
    Let me know how it goes.
    Ron

Boat Racer
    I'd say none, as long as you take it easy!!!!
    I'd make a hard run & then put it on the trailer.I can't imagine it being any worse than the wash-out from coming of plane!!!
    OH, MINE RAN 103.7 WITH A 26P, AND 2:1 GEARS!!! NEXT WEEK I TAKE MY 30P

TIMEBOMB
    Zuummer I didn't think 2.4l bp had a poppet, mine does not. Just a plate with a small diameter hole. Still could be the sorce of the leak though.
    HD. I had a similar problem. It was the nuts that hold the powerhead on. I tightened them up and it stopped leaking. There should be 2 gaskets between the powerhead/pan//tuner plate.
    No gasket sealer is used so tightening the nuts back up should not be a problem. As long as the gaskets are in good shape. They are metal reinforced so I cant see them getting damaged. My water pressure started to flucuate that was how I discovered the leak. Hope this helps. Gary.
    [ June 18, 2003, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: TIMEBOMB ]

HavasuDreamin'
    Thanks for the help. I will check to see if there is a poppet valve and if it is the source of the leak. Hopefully between that and tightening the nuts back up, the water leak should be fixed.
    Hey Zuumer. You probably remember my boat. Blue and white 19' Eliminator Daytona with a 2.4L carb. Bridgeport. My dad and I use to pop in and see you guys at Lakeland before I moved out to the midwest. BTW.........your new ride looks great. Hope it works out for you! boxed

Zuumer
    HavasuDreamin':
    Thanks for the help. I will check to see if there is a poppet valve and if it is the source of the leak. Hopefully between that and tightening the nuts back up, the water leak should be fixed.
    Hey Zuumer. You probably remember my boat. Blue and white 19' Eliminator Daytona with a 2.4L carb. Bridgeport. My dad and I use to pop in and see you guys at Lakeland before I moved out to the midwest. BTW.........your new ride looks great. Hope it works out for you! boxed Hi again ! !
    I thought that was you. Your Dad and his wife stopped in the shop last week to say Hi. He almost bought my old Daytona but timing was not right. Glad 2 hear from you
    I think the comments above are correct on the poppet valve not being on your motor. I hope you get it fixed. Let me know and I'll check with Lew to see what he thinks.
    Great talkin' with ya ! !
    Ron