Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gate valve question

burbanite
    Run 'em dry. I still have the scars on my arms from my injected headers, threw it all away after that, like Dave said, still hot and still loud...

DUCKY
    You'd be drilling a hole into the center of the pipe plug that you just glued into the inlet of the Bassett valve. While I agree with most of these guys in that dry is better, the water does take some of the ringing out of your ears after a long cruise, and it just may help you avoid a ticket since you are at least trying.
    Anyways, your ultimate goal is to keep the water from overcoming the Bassett valve at idle and a little above. The headers should be dry at idle and you should have no more than a mist and steam at any other time. If you ever see raw water dumping out, you need to cut down the flow more. I'll see if I can find a pic or a schematic of my electric setup. It's pretty simple. It basically consists of a readily available 12v electric solenoid (continuous duty cycle) a Bosch 20/30 relay, a junction block, either a MSD RPM activated switch or a window switch, and the necessary RPM pills. The cool part about it is that you can set it up (with a window switch) so you have water flow from 2000 up to whatever, but it will automatically kill the water above a certain RPM so you can still make your power if you are racing someone or just screwing around.

superdave013
    Ducky, He lives in the state of Indiana. The Indiana DNR will make sure that boat has mufflers. It's not like Parker and Havasu back there.
    Anyone else remember DNR officers Ralph Taylor and Bill Snider in the Stuben County area?? They knew all of us kids real well. haha

asch
    The Indiana DNR will make sure that boat has mufflers. It's not like Parker and Havasu back there.
    DNR? Department of Noise Reduction?
    Frikkin government. They got a department for everything

superdave013
    DNR? Department of Noise Reduction?
    Frikkin government. They got a department for everything
    Department of Natural Recourses, back there you register your boats with them, not the DMV. At least you used to.

warpt71
    Ill throw my $.02 out here for you guys,
    I have 3 -8 outlets on my intake, 2 from the t-stat housing and one below that. What I did was send the two from the t-stat out through the transom and used the other one to plumb directly into the Basset t-valve. With the spring and ball in place I was getting NO water to the headers. Its just a simple spring in there that can be cut down to lower the pressure that it would open, if too much is cut, just stretch it back out!!! Little adjustments like this have gotten it to where it has almost nothing at idle and a nice mist wile cruising. Yes they still get hot and they are still loud but the chrome stays pretty and that’s why I keep water to them
    http://www.v-driveboat.com/images/gallery/photos/1255_11-25-2006-03-(Custom).jpg

DUCKY
    Ill throw my $.02 out here for you guys,
    I have 3 -8 outlets on my intake, 2 from the t-stat housing and one below that. What I did was send the two from the t-stat out through the transom and used the other one to plumb directly into the Basset t-valve. With the spring and ball in place I was getting NO water to the headers. Its just a simple spring in there that can be cut down to lower the pressure that it would open, if too much is cut, just stretch it back out!!! Little adjustments like this have gotten it to where it has almost nothing at idle and a nice mist wile cruising. Yes they still get hot and they are still loud but the chrome stays pretty and that’s why I keep water to them
    http://www.v-driveboat.com/images/gallery/photos/1255_11-25-2006-03-(Custom).jpg
    You were lucky enough to relieve enough water pressure by having multiple dumps, so as not to overcome the spring in the valve. Unfortunaately, you probably don't create enough pressure in the block to properly cool your engine either. If you ever got you motor temp up to 180 or so, I'll bet she would be steaming. One more thing....When you cut a spring, it's resistance rate increases, you just decrease the pre-load against it making yourself think that it got softer......

warpt71
    You were lucky enough to relieve enough water pressure by having multiple dumps, so as not to overcome the spring in the valve. Unfortunaately, you probably don't create enough pressure in the block to properly cool your engine either. If you ever got you motor temp up to 180 or so, I'll bet she would be steaming. One more thing....When you cut a spring, it's resistance rate increases, you just decrease the pre-load against it making yourself think that it got softer......
    It works fine for me and its nice and simple, bottom line. There are a hundred different ways to do the same job. Happy boating!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12